Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brick Wall

I am not convinced that Mary Harrison born 30 April 1913 is your Mary - on the 1939 register she is married to Kenneth. The other Mary born 30 Dec 1912 is living with her parents Alice and William H. They are living near Hangingwater Lane so much more likely to be your Mary. Dont spend money on a death certificate on what could be the wrong Mary.
This is the 1939 information

Mary Harrison 30 Dec 1912 Female Machine Operator Single 113
William Harrison 04 May 1873 Male Corporation Labourer Married 113 1
Alice Harrison 18 Oct 1870 Female Unpaid Domestic Dut Married 113 2

Yws that is my family on Hangingwater

Thank you for your reply Susan

Christine

My second message above was designed to say that the death in 1979 is definitely the wrong person. You should not waste money on that cert. You know that the correct Mary was born 30 th Dec 1912 as Sue has said so the challenge now is to find the death of a Mary , who may or may not have married, whose birth date was 30 Dec 1912.
That will not be easy.
Dave

Mary Harrison seems to have lots of brothers and sisters - have you tried contacting any of their families to see if they can tell you anything.

As far as I know there isnt anyone left my dad was her nephew he passed away in October last year and showed me her photo of her in uniform ,I didnt get the photo ,but if she wa stil at home in 1939 I wonder where she ended up

Thank you Susan

Christine

If that says 'machine' in 1939 it is a very odd spelling. Which in itself would be strange as the spelling looks pretty good looking ahead through that handwriting - there are examples of 'machinery' as well as 'machine'

I don't have an alternative reading though.

Hugh

Conscription for women was introduced in June 1941 and all single women between 20 and 30 were called up.
Mary would have been 29. If she was still single she we'll have been conscripted. Presumably she was in the WAAF. The Wikipedia entry for WAAF may be of interest.
Dave

Wow thank you so much for you replies I didnt know that women were called up now it is starting to come together

Thank you so much

Christine

Regarding Mary Harrisons occupation on the 1939 register it states that she is a Mossence Operator ,what ever that may be or was the enumerator not very good at spelling lol any suggestions please

Thank you
Christine

My mum was born 1936 at 8 Glen view, Off Hangingwater Road, her parents, my grandparents, were William (Bill) Rycroft, they lived in the same house until the early 90s.

Likely to be more than one Mary Harrison, but is this your Mary?
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205125636

There are some trees at Ancestry. Just one claims a husband Oswald William Boyes and another claims a marriage to "private" in 1950.

One claims she died 7 November 2002. A matching death index item at GRO is:
BOYES, MARY 1912
GRO Reference: DOR Q4/2002 in YORK (6611C) Reg C51B Entry Number 280

The Ancestry version (England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007) has a birth date 30 December 1912.

FreeBMD has this in their marriage index
Harrison Mary Boyes York 2d 1868
Boyes Oswald W Harrison York 2d 1868

You should not rely on any of that, but it may be worth checking out.

chrisw
I think this could be a long shot but here goes,I am searching for a great aunt I dont have much information on her
She is Mary Harrison b 1913 to William and Alice Harrison (maiden name Robinson)of Glen View Hangingwater Rd Sheffield .I have only seen her in a photo she was wearing an RAF uniform ,she was wearing a peaked cap ,the photo was black and white that is all I have .I would love to know if she got married or did she keep her career in the RAF I dont have anyone who can tell me about her if any one can point me in the right direction that would be brilliant

Thank you

Christine
You could apply for her service record.
Look on the internet for RAF Service Record and the Gov UK site will give details of how to apply for it.

Hello
Thank you for everyone's reply especially Terry and Mick ,as far as I know Mary did marry Oswald in 1950 and they emigrated to Canada ( New Brunswick) I think they must have separated as Oswald came back to England whilst Mary stayed in Canada where she died in 2002 ,but I have to verify this
Thank you to all who have contributed to my post I am very grateful
Chris

Apologies I should have said Mark

Hi. Intersting My Nans neighbours emigrated to Canada, I cannot recall their names, my nan visited them a couple of times, I do seem to remember the male worked for British Telecom and had a similar role in Canada. I've just spoken to my mum, she thinks they were Sheila and Eric.

Thank you Mark for your reply

My aunts name was Mary and her husband Oswald but thank you for asking your nan