Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MARY WHEATCROFT NEE ADWICK,

Hi,
would any one know where Mary Adwick the wife of George Wheatcroft was born, in the 1841 census states that she was born 12816 in Strafford and Tickhilland in the 1851 census states that she was born in France. I have not found any birth record for Mary.
my very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: MARY WHEATCROFT NEE ADWICK,

She married George in 1848 so the marriage certificate may throw some light on the subject.
Name Mary Adwick
Registration Year 1848
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district Rotherham
Parishes for this Registration District Rotherham
Inferred County Yorkshire West Riding
Volume 22
Page 384

Hi Fred

The marriage was at Rotherham All Saints (now the Minster)

26 July 1848
George WHEATCROFT aged 32, Bachelor of Sheffield. Occupation; Cutler. Father Luke WHEATCROFT a Cutler.

Mary ADWICK aged 33, Spinster of Rotherham. Father John ADWICK a Labourer.

Both Signed.

Angela

I was hoping it may have said soldier for her father - meaning he could have served in France!!!
At least we now have another name John Adwick to look for.

Hi Fred

I have just looked at the 1841 census where she is a Farm Servant and it states NOT born in County.

Angela

Hello Fred
In 1851 census, there is a John Adwick in Abbey Street, Worksop. His occupation is Chelsea Pensioner, born Worksop, his wife Mary was born Ireland.
HO 107/2122/141/31

Also in Worksop in 1851, there Is a younger John Adwick ( wife Mary) in East Gate. He gives his place of birth as Corfu.
HO 107/2122/169
His marriage seems to have been 18 Dec 1840 in Chesterfield, to Mary Longden. His father is given as John Adwick, Labourer.
On the census he has a visitor, William Adwick and his wife Elizabeth.

I looked at John Adwick(Sr) on the 1841 census, there was a son William, born Worksop

I think there is a chance that these 2 Johns might be Mary Wheatcroft's father and brother.

I can’t find service record for John Adwick, but he appears on the Chelsea Pensioners Register on Ancestry, and possibly on the Waterloo medal roll on Ancestry.

He might be your man, something to work on.

Anne

This looks promising for John Adwick - Chelsea pensioner

ame: John Adwicke
Birth Date: abt 1780
Birth Place: Morksop, Nottingham
Military Date: 17 Mar 1801
Unit: 32nd Foot Soldiers

Some doing a tree on Ancestry has Mary Adwick(Hadwick) born 1815 Belgium which could I suppose be the correct Mary