Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Details of soldier

I have the North West Frontier 1930-31 medal awarded to Pte. 4684438 H. Holland.
Pte Holland served in the 2nd battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry(KOYLI) in India at the time of the award.
Can anyone provide me with any details of this man please.

Re: Details of soldi

Phil,
Because you have his number you can apply for a search at gov.uk. It will cost you £30.
Do you have any other detail which may help to find him in family history records? Was he a relative, or do you only have the medal?
Dave

Re: Details of soldi

Hi,
I have no other details except those engraved on the medal.
I have checked the medal roll and they match.
He is not a relative.
Phil.

Re: Details of sol

Phil, as a non relative you can get some limited info from his army papers. You can apply to search at gov.uk. It will still cost you £30.
It is likely he served in ww2 and his likely birth date would be 1905 to 1910. He will have signed up for 12 yrs and served 7 then gone into reserve for 5.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Is it from the MOD historical records section at Glasgow where the service record is obtained from.
You summary of service is spot on as my uncle served in the same btn. at the same time. He was born in 1905 signed on for the same colour and reserve service plus was recalled for WW2.

Phil, yes, Glasgow. You can download an application form here
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

My uncle was born 1911 and signed up 1930. He went to North West Frontier and Hong Kong then died in WW2.
Good Luck with it
Dave