Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Searching for a WW1 name inscription

There have been a couple of articles in the Sheffield press recently about a guy wanting to know why the name of a relative who fell in the Great War is not inscribed anywhere in this city.
I have yet if it's anywhere, to find the name of a great Uncle of mine who fell in 14 /18.
There must be many, just how many names of the fallen that don't appear anywhere other than in print.
How I wonder were many of those lads not commemorated and has anyone any idea what those missing numbers are ?
We have a guy who has posted much useful info on here in the past about the location of names of the fallen, sorry I have forgotten his name, was it Dean ?
Would be nice to take my Grandsons one day to show them in Sheffield the name of John Henry Dale and to tell them how proud the family is that he gave his life for freedom !

Re: Searching for a WW1 name inscription

Dean & Stuart have a brilliant website www.sheffieldsoldierWW1.co.uk

A John Henry Dale is on their site - http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/search_Quick.php

If anyone has a soldier they know who died in WW1 that isn't listed on there, you can email details to them and they will check things out and add them to the list.
Lyn

Hi Lyn and thanks for your reply

A problem, can't open the site you have given.
Is it me or is there an error in your post ?

Roger

Hi Roger
Try this: http://sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Soldier/

Angela

Hi Lyn and thanks

As I was aware, no indication of an inscription other than John Henry's name being on the Council list

Thanks

Roger

Hi Roger

I have the same issue with my 2 x great-uncle, Frederick Welbourn, who died on 5th November 1918 in France. His name appears on Dean's web site but nowhere else. Very sad state of affairs when we don't commemorate these brave individuals.

Carol

Hi

My great uncle George Edward Ingleby is on Firth Browns Atlas Works memorial.
Also on Sheffield Soldiers site.
But he is missing from the council list and their memorial.

Mark

Hi Mark,was your great uncle Gunner G E Ingleby, Tank Corps, who was killed in action 27 September 1918. If yes then I have a newspaper image of him from the Sheffield Evening Telegraph.

Hi Patrick

I sent you an e=mail.
Please send the image to that address.
Would really appreciate that.

Thank you.
Mark

My great uncle Harold Norton's name is on a plaque in Heeley Church and on Dean's site (I gave him the information) but, nowhere else is he acknowledged.
There must be hundreds more who aren't.
I've hunted everywhere for a photo of Harold Norton without success.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Good morning everyone !

Can I open my mouth and come out with a bold suggestion !!

Would it be at all possible for all the names of Sheffield lads who fell in both wars and whose names are are not commemorated on any memorial to be added to a new memorial ?
Hope that idea isn't too mad, although it probably is.
Collecting and collating all names, who would do it, where to place such a memorial, the cost !!
Will never happen I suppose, shame really, in fact a damn big shame !

Your thoughts please !

Hi Roger,

It would probably be very expensive to have a memorial large enough to hold all the names. The cost of engraving all the names on the memorial could also be quite high and (sadly) it might also be prone to vandalism. Maybe it could be done quite cheaply if there’s a large plain wall somewhere prominent which could have names projected onto it after sundown. If it was done on a rotation basis, showing only the ones who had died on that particular day of the year, it would also need less space.

Heths

Hi Heather

A sad situation which has been allowed to continue over many years.
The reality is that all those lads whose names never appeared on a memorial will probably in the years to come be forgotten completely !

Hi Roger,

I am sure there is a much simpler way around this by contacting the contact person for the memorials that are already in place. Have you also tried the Commonwealth War Graves people. The site the Angela suggested should also bear fruit. How about the regiment they were in they would have some sort of Memorial.

Keep at it and I am sure they will be recognized.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

In Directories on here showing names of WW1 soldiers who died there's reference to this:
"City of Sheffield Roll of Honour of Sheffield Men"
Is this in Sheffield Town Hall?

Regards,
Marlene C.