Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
forlorn faint hope

John Baugh 1893 - 1978

At some point when I was aged between 9 and 15 I remember my grandmother telling me that my grandfather John Baugh had owned a cutlery firm and she showed me a set of table knives with his name on the blade. The date of this firm's existance has to have been between 1918 and the 1950s, probably towards the beginning of that time period. After that date he worked for Hardy Pick in the accounts department. He was an accountant not a cutlar.
I presume the company was in Sheffield as that is where we lived and I also guess that his company was short lived. He bought it as a not very successful going concern and again I guess that he didnt do any better with it.

If anyone knows anything at all about this company I would love to hear from them because I know no more than the above.

Susan

Re: forlorn faint hope

Hi Susan,
That name Baugh is not in the list of proprietors of trade marks in the 1919 Register of Trade Marks of The Cutlers' Company of Sheffield. I do not know if there is a later register. You could try asking at the Cutlers' Hall.
Dave

Thankyou Dave, I am sure that it was a short lived enterprise and since I posted the message I have discovered that the firm was Revitt and Baugh of 38 Garden Street and also that by 1939 John as working as an accounts clerk at a tool manufacturers.

I understand from my sister that the knife we have found is due to go on show at an exhibition but not sure where. My sister works at the Butcher works as a curator so there should be a lot of interest in the exhibition for those interested in the cutlery industry.

Susan

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u04064&action=zoom&pos=12&id=39197&continueUrl=

He could a little mester, garden street had many of them and the factories were very small places
See above

Thankyou for your input, John Baugh was an accountant not a cutlar so must have been employing someone. The knife will be in the exhibition mounted by Carole Baugh of the Butcher Works opposite the Hallam University later this year.
Susan