Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joannah Oates 18th Century Bradfield

I have a loose end to tie up. The will of James Oates of Stannington signed in 1767 leaves his estate to his chldren James, John, William Matthew and Ann. I have all those baptism records, between 1731 and 1745 . The mystery is that he leaves £5 to his granddaughter Joannah Oates (on the original it looks like Loannah). Can anyone please identify her? I have the children of Matthew and Edward. Was Johanna the daughter of James , John or William, or illegitimate to Ann?
Dave

Re: Joannah Oates 18th Century Bradfield

Hi Dave,

Could the name be Hannah?

There is a baptism at Stannington Chapel, 31 December 1752 for
an Hannah Oates daughter of John.

Could not find one for Johannah.

Moira.

Re: Joannah Oates 18th Century Bradfield

Moira, thanks,
I have re checked the original handwriting and there is no doubt that the name is written as Loanah. It is very clear handwriting with some flourish. There are two other capital Ls close by and they are identical. Also one of the witnesses is called Hannah and that name has a perfect capital H.
Despite that I believe you have probably found her. I wonder if she was perhaps a shortened version of little Hannah?
I do not have a marriage for John, who was baptised 1731. I wonder if his wife was Hannah?
Please do not spend any more time on it. It is not in my direct line, which is Matthew, John's brother.
Dave