Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Thomas, Brightside Burials 1854-1977

Hello everyone

Delighted to announce the completion of the St Thomas, Brightside Burials project.

The records are fully searchable online from 6 April 1854 to 14 September 1977.

Thank you to John & Terry for transcribing.

In addition to the register images at the archives, Terry had also managed to photograph some of the more accessible headstones for us.

Please post here with your email address if you would like us to check if we have the image you want.

Vicki

Re: St Thomas, Brightside Burials 1854-1977

Brilliant - but is there a problem? I looked for my great grand parents Frank & Eliza Rodgers of Beal St and clicked to see who else is buried in their grave and took me back starting at A's with loads of pages - just impossible for that many to be buried in the same grave...........
Lyn

Wow that would be great thankyou.
William & Hannah Gittins please.
and there children William Henry , Elizabeth , Albert.

most thanks
Darran

Hi Lyn

The St Thomas Burials Register gives the grave number and section on some pages but not all.

Neither of the burial pages for Eliza and Frank state the grave number etc - you will see it
has been transcribed with a tilde ~ which means the information is not available

The 'find others' function only helps when the grave number is given.

Vicki

Hi Darran

Sorry, can't see any for Gittins in the ones we have so far.

Some head stones are laid down and the area is overgrown in parts, so could be one of those

Vicki

Thankyou Vicky.x

Thanks Vicky - never come across that before.
Lyn

Thanks to all involved in the transcription. I visited the graveyard a year or two ago and found my grandparents gravestone. However I could not find the grave of the Crowder House Wilkinsons, who according to the transcription, were buried in Grave number 2 in the Class B section. For some reason they fell out with St Mary's Ecclesfield which the family had used since time immemorial. Does anyone know where the Class B (or Class 2) section is? Is there a plan available?

Thanks again,

Ted

I would like to know where to look for Ann Kendell buried at st Thomas in nov 1873. Grave 677 section? Is there a map available?

Thanks
Christine Brackenbury

Ted,

Have you looked at the Ecclesfield Website. They do have newer maps there.

http://www.stmarysecclesfield.com/History/Cemetery_Burials.html

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine,

However it's St Thomas's where the last of the Crowder Wilkinsons are buried, not at St Mary's Ecclesfield. William (who died in October 1854)appears to be the second burial at St Thomas graveyard. I cannot imagine him not having an impressive monument there but couldn't find it. There is a considerable amount of undergrowth, so narrowing down the area of Section 2 (or Section B) would be a great help.

Hi

I have the MI's for St Thomas transcribed by S&DFHS.

There is only one William WILKINSON listed in these and he died in 1883 aged 56.

Others in the same grave are Harriet, Harry, Matilda all infants. Sarah Ellen aged 57 in 1887 and Edward aged 23 in 1887.
The grave number is listed as OLD PART grave 546

Angela

Hi Ted,

Sorry I read it that you were talking about Ecclesfield.

Elaine in Ottawa

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Angela

Could you please tell me if there is a headstone for Ann kendell age 29.

She was buried at St Thomas in November 1873 - grave 677, no section given.

Is there a map anywhere of the graves?

Thanks
Christine Brackenbury

Ted, we have a Joseph Crowther Wilkinson monument 1871.

Regards

Terry

Hello Ann, I don't find a headstone for her but it's a work in progress. There is a hand drawn map but almost impossible to decipher.

Regards.

Terry

Hi Christine.

There is no headstone listed in the MI's for St Thomas for Ann Kendell.

Angela

Thanks for your help Angela. I thought it might be the case as there are several listed in the same grave.