Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ernest Sellers - Asylum

I am looking for information of Ernest Sellers he is not listed with his family in the 1911 Census, but there is an Ernest Sellars listed in the Asylum who is the right age (9), is it possible to get records for the Asylum, it is possible that he was there for a time as his father died in 1908 leaving a wife and five children, he was back with the family as an adult, I am hoping to find more information on his life. The Asylum was in Ecclesall Bierlow All help and ideas gratefully received.
kind regard
Helen

Re: Ernest Sellers - Asylum

Helen, the Ecclesall Bierlow Union admission and discharge records for that period are available at Sheffield Archives. You may need to prove your right to the records under the one hundred year rule.
Dave

Could we have a bit more information about Ernest, his parents names etc. to help with the research.

Hi Susan
His mothers name was Mary Jane Sellers and his father was Joe Sellers, Joe died in 1908. They lived in and around Harvey Clough Rd and Derbyshire Lane, moving many times over the years. He had a brother Thomas, and Sisters Annie, Marion and Doris. It seems strange that he would have ended up in the Workhouse as Mary Jane had a lot of family in the area who would have been able to help, but this record in the workhouse is the only record I can find for an Ernest Sellers/Sellars in 1911. Apparently he was a bit of a naughty boy and perhaps that explains it. Any help would be much appreciated.
regards
Helen

Hi

Is he in the asylum OR the workhouse? There was no asylum in Ecclesall Bierlow it was the South Yorkshire Asylum at Middlewood.

I have transcribed the Ecclesall Bierlow workhouse admission registers up to 1915 and Middlewood asylum up to 1910.

The EB union workhouse records show that he was admitted on the 11 Feb 1911 and his d.o.b. was 16 Jun 1906.

I'll see if I can find the entry later on for other information, as this is just an index to admissions.

Angela

Thankyou I shall follow up on that.
helen

Thank you Angela

I have his date of birth as the the 16 June 1901, I would very much appreciate any further information of his time at the workhouse, I have found information on the 1911 Census that he was in the Ecclesall Bierlow Workhouse, not the asylum as I said earlier, my cousin said that she thought he had autism, although I doubt that was recognised in those days.
kind regards
Helen

Hi Helen

The only other information I can give you from the register is an address of 55 Mount View Road, Norton.

We only filmed one half of the two page spread to create an index.

I will send you a copy of this. There is other information on the second page. Maybe if someone is going to the archives they can look at it for you. The reference is NHS21/5/6/2 page 223.

Angela

Thank you Angela, that address confirms that he is the correct Ernest, I just rechecked the census records and the rest of the family were living at 55 Mount View Road in 1911, I live in Western Australia so am not able to go to the Archives, I have emailed them so hopefully they can help me with more information. Thank you so very much for the information that you have given me, I now know that I am on the right track.

Have a lovely day.

kind regards

Helen

I see from the GRO records his birth is given as 1901 mothers maiden name Cartledge. It seems strange that on the workhouse records he is 5 years younger. I also see from your ancestry tree that you have found his death so perhaps his death certificate may shed some light on his health etc. He died very young about 37 I think.

Thanks Susan

He died from Kidney failure very young, he used to have a little boot repair business and lived with his mother, it is the years that me spent in the Work house that I am interested in, I knew some of his sisters and they never mentioned his time in care so I am keen to learn more about this time.

Kind regards

Helen

Hi Helen

His date of birth is given as 1905 NOT 1906 as I stated in the workhouse records.
Angela

Hi Helen,
There is an ERNEST SELLARS on Family Search 1911 census, which shows the aforementioned as an inmate-aged 9- birth estimate 1902
residing at ECCELSALL, THE EDGE, SHEFFIELD.

Others more qualified than I on this site, may or may not confirm my understanding that THE EDGE (nr.Edgebrook Rd.) was part of the new Nether Edge Workhouse, the latter being located at Cherry Tree Hill(later Union Rd) which was an expansion to the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse on Psalter Lane.

For more info on life inside, you could try wandering around www.workhouses.org.uk/ Male children were sometimes employed as boot/shoe makers, which may have been the incentive for your Ernest to go into the boot repair business.

Sheffield Indexers burials records (see left hand column) show the burial of Ernest Sellers at Abbey Lane Cem. Other rellies can be found at Norton Cem.
e.g. his father, Joe, grandfather John and a few other relatives.
I did not find a burial for his mother, Mary Jane Sellers, did she remarry?

HAPPY HUNTING
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

There was a hospital in the grounds of the workhouse, could Ernest have been in
there. On the 1911 census, the page after the one with Ernest on, is a list of
staff, many of them being sick nurses.

Moira.

Thank you so very much for that information very useful, Mary Jane, the mother lived to be 92 never remarried, lived her latter years in Worksop died there in 1958. She had a tough life but certainly made the most of it.

Once again,

Thankyou

Thanks Moira

I am starting to think that is a very likely scenario as I have contacted the archives and they said he was only in there for 2 months so he may well have been sick, I have learnt so much whilst doing this research, thank you very much for this information.

Kind regards

Helen