Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When did Ecclesfield Cemetery open?

Hello i think the ecclesfield cemetery council one on priory road opened about 1920,enquire at city road with any details of burials dates etc they will sort you out.

Also the st marys church yard graves.continue into priory road.,befor the council took it over, as i have relatives in there and i contacted the administrator of st marys and asked if would kindly have a look in there burial registers for me,which they kindly did giving me the burial plots and who was buried in them.

Hello Claire
Dave Yates photographed Ecclesfield Cemetery burial registers and we both have the images but they are not transcribed yet (we have just done Beighton Cemetery and will send it to Vicki when checking is finished). The first burial (Ecclesfield) was on 31st Dec 1920. If you have any names and rough dates,I will look for you. regards Christine

Some records on here along with its history - http://www.stmarysecclesfield.com/History/Churchyard_Burials.html

Hi Claire,

From the booklet from S&DFHS.

Ecclesfield Cemetery, Priory Road, Ecclesfield.
Five acres of land purchased as an extension of the parish churchyard. First burial did indeed take place in 1920. The site is inter-denominational.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello All

Thank you all for responding and confirming the opening date. The current people I have are pre-1920 so I know now they are in St Mary rather than the cemetery :)

Regards
Claire

try on here, claire atkinson

http://www.stmarysecclesfield.com/Burial_Records/Consolidated_Burial_Records.pdf

Hi Claire/Mr Cook,

It looks as if St Marys Ecclesfield and Priory Road Cemetery have been updated since I last checked out their website. Some great maps for those wishing to visit.

http://www.stmarysecclesfield.com/History/Churchyard_Burials.html

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks for that Update about st marys,Elaine.
Have managed to check burials and plot numbers and even were they was living at the time of death,have looked at the priory road maps in color section and able to plot out were the exact burial plot numbers are.
I did find out that some of the burial dates did not match what i had in my tree,and some by a few years,but i am sure the records of burials are correct.

Mr cooke

Evening Mr Cook,

I have been checking some of my Wilson clan out who were from Ecclesfield and like yourself am finding some of the burial year are not matching what I had found by using FreeBMD.

i.e Annis Wilson nee Naylor baptised Ecclesfield 30th Sep 1855
from FreeBMD I had worked out the following.

Death Sep qtr 1937 aged 82 Wortley 9c 252.
From the GRO. WILSON, ANNIS 82
GRO Reference: 1937 S Quarter in WORTLEY Volume 09C Page 252

Ecclesfield Parish Church Records.
Annis Wilson buried 14/09/1941 aged 82 40 Norfolk Hill, Grenoside.

Very odd.

I will check further with her husband and two sons that are all in the same grave.
And get back to you tomorrow.

Night Elaine.

PS.

Just a quick look at the four rellies in this grave and there seems to be a five year difference in the Ecclesfield Burial dates and what I was finding on FreeBMD.
With Wilson being such a common name in the Ecclesfield Registers that is the reason I started with Annis. They are all in Grave 63 Burial Ground North Part 2.
Could it just be that were sorted incorrectly????? Will investigate more closely tomorrow.

Morning,

After checking more thoroughly I found that all the people in Grave #63 Burial dates were four years different than the death registrations.

Is that what you found also Mr Cook?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hello elaine
Yes i found that some were 3 plus years,
I have e/mailed the web master at st marys to see if he or they can explain this to me.
Thankyou once again
Mr cooke

Hi Mr Cook,

I have also contacted the Webmaster and they are looking into it.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Mr Cook,

I have just heard back from the Ecclesfield Webmaster and he said it was an Excel problem and is now fixed. Can you check your rellies out please and contact him if its not fixed.

Thanks Elaine.

hello elaine

Checked out the site again and all seems ok now

thankyou mr cooke

Earlier graves do exist in the adjoining churchyard, some going back hundreds of years.