Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Territorial Force

Hi Angie,

Did not see Dave's post before I posted mine, but it is good to see that
the information matches.

1841 census - Moorside, Silkstone, Ecclesfield, township of Barnsley, Yks.
William Atkinson, 35yrs, Warehouseman (Linen).
Elizabeth Atkinson, 35yrs.
Edward Atkinson, 10yrs.
Emma Atkinson, 9yrs.
Harriet Atkinson, 7yrs.
William Atkinson, 22months. All born in County.
(All adult ages rounded down to nearest 0/5).

Moira.

Hi Angie, Sorry but there is no WW1 service record on ancestry for your Herbert Atkinson. Best of luck, John

There is a marriage in Barnsley in 1858 for Emma Atkinson. There are 2 possible marriages for Harriet in Barnsley. One in 1859 and one in 1860. To find which of the two sisters gave birth to Joseph you will need his birth cert ( GRO PDF for £6).
Dave
Edit: William Henry Atkinson born 1939 (mmn Shaw) died 1846 age 6 (GRO). Charles Emmendry Atkinson born 1843 mmn Shaw (GRO). All these in Ecclesfield which was reg district for Barnsley before 1850. So William's wife Elizabeth was nee Shaw.

Marriage, Ecclesfield, 17 February 1828.
William Atkinson, otp to Elizabeth Shaw, otp.
Witnesses: Hariet Shaw and Charles Shaw.

Moira.

Hi, I have been researching Joseph Wroe Atkinson (census info you gave me) and found a possible mother Ann Atkinson , but Ann does not fit with family census info. She married a John Wroe in Dec 1853.
Ann could have died either Mar 1860 or Dec 1860.
John could have died 1857
I have picked this up from freebmd. and would fit in with 1861 census info.

I was wondering if one of the daughters might have had a different first name. If you have a minute could you let me know what your thoughts might be on this. Many thanks

Angie.
From GRO Index the John Wroe who died in 1857 was 67 yrs old. The Ann Wroe who died March Quarter 1860 was 26 yrs old. That would make her exactly the same age as Harriet Atkinson. The Ann Roe who died Sep Quarter 1860 was 0. She was born March Q 1860 with MMn Brown.
It is feasible that there could be another Atkinson daughter who was not at home in 41 and 51. However The birth registration of Joseph Wroe Atkinson in Sep quarter 1854 was illegitimate according to GRO index. If he was the son of the married couple John Wroe and Ann Atkinson (married Dec Q 1853)he would not be illegitimate,and would be registered Joseph Wroe, unless of course John Wroe refused to accept him as his.
The birth cert of Joseph Wroe Atkinson born 1854 should leave no doubt.
Dave

Correction, The illegitimate Joseph Wroe Atkinson was born March quarter 1854, not sept quarter..
Dave

Hello Dave, an update - have now the birth cert for Joseph Wroe Atkinson and it turns our that his mother was Harriet Atkinson of Sackville Street, Barnsley, no father mentioned. This answers one question. Thanks.

Angie, thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated
Dave