Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loxley Cemetry

Can anyone update me on Loxley Cemetry and its burials. My Grandparents Smith and Rose Jackson, plus Aunt Kathleen James and buried there. The only information I can see is that it now derelict but I thought sacred ground had to be maintained.

Re: Loxley Cemetry

Hi Jo,

Is this your chap?

JACKSON, Smith (~, age 74).
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on July 25, 1906 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 28, Section U4 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: ~ Officiating Minister, D. Parsons.

If so you will note he is in Burngreave Cemetery.

Elaine in Ottawa

Instant Messenger: Skype

Loxley Congregational was gutted by fire a few years ago. The graveyard is heavily overgrown with brambles amongst other undergrowth. It is a dangerous place to visit and many graves are virtually impossible to find. It was and still is privately owned.
Dave

So trying to find Smith and Rose Jackson's grave I presume is now impossible. What a pity the site has been left insuch a sorry state. I still think sacred ground has to be maintained or is a "graveyard" not classed as "Sacred". Thank you for you help.

Josephine,
I just realised that you are probably looking for a grave in the Long Lane area of Loxley Cong. My comments about the danger and the brambles were about the walled graveyard surrounding the fire gutted chapel. The Long Lane area is much newer, is outside the north wall of the chapel graveyard and probably in a better state.
Do you have a grave ID number?
Dave

Unfortunately No. Smith Jackson died in October 1937 and wife Rose in July 1951. I never knew Grandad. They were members of Carlton Road Congregational Church and used to live at "Rydalhurst" Rural Lane Wadsley.

The burial records for the Long Lane Section can be viewed at Sheffield Archives. I understand that is your only source of the info. Are you able to go to the archives?

Does anyone please know if this section of the cemetery is accessible and relatively undergrowth free? It is just to the north of the original walled plot
Dave

Hi Dave,

I am not sure how safe it is to walk around but there is a small gate that leads in to the cemetery from Long Lane (just a little further up from the garden centre). I have tried a few times to locate this cemetery to take a photo and managed to spot this gate when driving past a few weeks ago but wasn't able to stop. Hopefully I could try and get a photo of the cemetery but not sure if its possible to go inside and look for any graves.

Claire

I can back up what people have said about the walled section of Loxley Chapel being dangerous. I arranged to visit, with an Australian relative who was over to see Ancestors homes and graves. I had a map but the brambles, Ivy and fallen debris from the chapel made it impossible to find much. I was quite embarrassed as this lady had come all this way to see this. Next time I will go armed with croppers.

Thank you all so much for helping me. I will now contact Sheffield Archives to see if they have information on graves in the cemetery and hopefully get an ID number. I now live in the West Midlands so although I am disappointed at least I wont be making an unnecessary journey to visit the cemetery.

Josephine,
Looking back on earlier threads about "Loxley cemetery" there has been confusion between the Long Lane section of Loxley Chapel and Wisewood Cemetery.
Suggest when you contact the Archives that you check both these possibilities.
Dave

The person to contact is Malcolm Nunn.
He can be contacted at Bradfield council offices, he is the archivist.