Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for great grandmother Mary McNally

I know my great grandmother was born in Sheffield in 1845. Her family emigrated to Ireland. I am looking for any family members. She emigrated to New York City and married David Scheele in 1865. she is buried in a Catholic cemetery in NY.

Re: looking for great grandmother Mary McNally

Martha, I can find neither a birth registration nor a baptism for her in or around Sheffield. How do you know she was born in Sheffield please?
Dave

I have the church record of her marriage to my great grandfather in 1865 in N.Y. City. It lists Sheffield England as her birth place. I have been researching her since 1999 and have had very little luck.

Do you know her father's name as I have found a baptism on 14th Oct 1849 in Sheffield for a Mary McNally (no birth date given). Father James, mother Ann Scanlon.

Jenny

Hi Martha,

I have just checked the record that Jenny found. I believe she may have got it from Family Search.

As we (Sheffield Indexers) had transcribed St Marie's records and she wasn't showing up which made me very curious.
I then went to the material we had used for the transcription to find that the register certainly looks like McNulty. There is certainly a line running across the top of what could be the second "l" making it looks like a "t".

Do the parents names match anything that you already know?

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS.

I have found her. Birth date Sep 18th 1849.

Will check the problem out why she is not showing up in our database.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi
Is this the baptism?

McNalty, Mary (of ~, born 1849-09-18).
Baptised October 14, 1849, by Matthew Kavanaugh at St Maries, Sheffield Centre.
Parents name(s) are Anne Scanlon & James (~).
Note:
Godparents: Danl Murn, Mary McGlinn :Page No 196 :Reg No ~

Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes I thats the one......

Just waiting for Martha to let me know if those are the correct parents and then I can change it in our database.

Thanks for finding her.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

I don't know anything about her family. I just found the marriage info. a couple months ago. She was 19 when she married in 1865. That would mean she was born in 1845 or 1846.

That baptism matches with a GRO birth record in q4 1849 for Mary McAnulty mmn Skanlin.
It is possible that she lied about her age at the marriage.
Dave

I thought the same thing, that she might have lied. I need to get her death certificate from New York City. I have paid for various searches over the years trying to get a copy, to no avail. I went to the cemetery and found her plot. The cemetery said I needed to get the death certificate from the city. The death certificate would list her parents names. I must say, I appreciate all the responses I have received from your group. If and when I find her parents I will let you know.

Elaine, the Mary you have had a brother. He is in the parish records as John McNulty at St Marie in 1846, father James and mother Ann McNulty. The birth reg shows in GRO as John McAnulty mmn Scanlan.
It seems to indicate their name was ending lty rather than lly.
Dave

Hi Martha,

Not sure if the following helps or hinders.
David Scheele B:28th Feb 1876 New York City
D:25th May 1943 Bronx, New York, Address: 406 W. 49th St. NYC
age 67

Parents: David.....? born Germany
Mary McNally born Ireland
Spouse: Katherine
(my research: Catherine nee Burns married David Scheele. I have found 4 children for Catherine and David: Matthew B:1905 NYC, Mary B:May 1906, David B:1912 and Elizabeth B:1917

Cemetery: Gate of Heaven

Not sure if following is relevant:
David Scheele B: abt 1841 Germany (Prussia)
Died: 17 Oct/1902 Manhattan, New York age 61 Marital Status unknown
Parents: Louis (Ludwig) Scheele
Amelia

If the David B:1941/42 is your David and if he is connected to Ludwig and Amelia, I do have some other research on this family.

Sorry if I am stating stuff you already know. You mentioned you have been to Mary McNally's grave, do you have a death date?
On SI website for 1841 census there is a Patrick McNally and his family and there is also a Michael McNulty and his family.

Happy Hunting
Wendy in Guelph :sleuth_or_spy:

The first David Scheele is my great grandfather and the other is my great uncle. Any info on this family would be greatly appreciated.

My great great grandparents are Ludwig and Amelia. I found an old photo album (with no photo) with the name Robert Emmett McNally. I don't know what relation he is to Mary McNally Scheele.

Hi Martha

I searched for Robert Emmett McNally on the familysearch.org. There are lots of results showing different dates of birth and places of residence in USA.

You will have to decide which Robert is the best fit for your family tree.

Sue