Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial in Sheffield - Appleton

I am researching the graves of veterans of the American Civil War (1861-1865) in the mainland UK - there are well over 1,000. One was an Algernon Appleton, who served in the 12th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and died in Sheffield On October 7, 1917. I'd greatly appreciate any help in finding where he is buried.

Re: Burial in Sheffield - Appleton

Hi Michael,

Is this your chap.

APPLETON, ALGERNON THOMAS 76
GRO Reference: 1917 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 634

If so I can't see where he is buried in our database or the many S&DFHS disks of C of E Churchyards that I have.

Fingers crossed that others might find him.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I wonder if he was known locally as Thomas.
Do you have the 1911 census information for him?

Answered my own question LOL.

I see he was a retired druggist in 1911 living in Shiregreen. Born I believe in Attercliffe.
His Will states his address was 39 Primrose Ave, Shiregreen. He had at least one son John Thompson Appleton.
His wifes name was Rhoda. I looked for her burial also with no luck.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Michael

Algernon Thomas Appleton age 76 was buried on 16 Oct 1917 in Moorgate Cemetery, Rotherham.

Sue

Hi Michael,
Burial at Moorgate cemetery, Rotherham. New Ground, Section 1, W97.

Section 1 W97
In loving remembrance / of / JOSEPH HILL. / second son of / ALGERNON T. & RHODA APPLETON. / who died January 2nd 1878, / aged 4 years and 4 months. “Of Such Is The Kingdom Of Heaven.” / Also of MAGGIE HOWARD, / who died OctR. 12Th 1882, / aged 3 years and 7 months. / And of MINNIE. / who died April 13th 1888, / aged 2 ½ years. / Also of the above / ALGERNON T. APPLETON, / who died Oct 7th 1917, / aged 76 years. / and of RHODA, / wife of the above / who died August 29th 1924 / aged 83 years.

Regards,
Patrick