Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Photos

Please can anyone point me in the right direction I have tried to find any photogtaphs of my elusive family I have e/mailed others that are on ancestry that have the same descendants I will pay for copies but i havent had any replies any suggestions would be appreciated .

Thank you
Chris

Re: Photos

Hi Chris,

Have you checked with cousins or other family members. (By phone). Its so easy not to reply by e-mail. Thats how I found photos of my great grandparents that we didn't know about.

Unless they had done something spectacular the chances of finding them in a newspaper will be limited.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine
Unfortunatley they have all gone ,that I know of my dad passed away in October and he was my main source so now i am stumped

Thanks for your reply

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you tried checking in books about the area(s) where they lived? For example, I found a school photo which included two of my grandma’s cousins that way, it was in a book about Chapeltown.

Second idea - a long shot - there are marriage records on the site which go up to 1940’s and 1950’s. I know we can’t search online on witness name, but perhaps someone could check the master excel file for you to see if any of your folk were witnesses. If they were and you had details of bride and groom you could perhaps see if anyone had them in their tree, and might have a group photo of the wedding. Just a wild thought.

Heths

Hi Heather
Thank you for your reply I have found photos of the Hinchcliffes who married in to the family as they all lived around Fulwood ,I have photos of the old farm house wher they lived and the renovation of it ,it is beautiful now I cannot think how they all lived in such a small place ,but they did ,I will keep trying

Thank you both fo your suggestions

Christine

Would you be prepared to post their names on here then others could perhaps see if they have links into your family?

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hello Marlene
No I dont have a problem with posting their names
They are Harrisons from Bole Hill Farm Fulwood Ralph died 1855,Matilda was married to his son Henry,Matilda d1904 ,Henry d 1899,Henry and Matilda also lived at Rivelin Lodge and Matilda died there ,Henry had a number of children of which my g/grandad William was one of them d1944 ,it is so frustrating they are the main ones I would love photos of but then they married into the Fox family and so on into the Hinchcliffe family

Thank you for your reply

Christine

Hi Chris,

I had forgotten we had a connection with the Harrison/Fox line.(Through my Woodhouse family)

I have a book called "More of Mayfield Valley with Old Fulwood by Muriel Hall.

There are a number of photographs of the Fox Family in it. There is obviously another book but I was not able to find it. I bought this book from a used book store on Devonshire St nr Glossop Road. That was probably about 18years ago so could be long gone. I believe that there could be another shop on Sussex ST by the town hall called Sheffield Scene? If its still there. Maybe the Central Library could help OR if Fulwood has a History Society.

All the best.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine
Flippin eck I too had forgotten about the connection yes the Sheffield Shop is still on Surrey Street I do call in when I am in town thank you for your reply I will keep loooking I will have to look out for some very old book shops lol

Take Care

Thank you
Chris

Hi Chris,
There's a picture on "picture Sheffield" of "Mr. Taylor's granddad of Bole Hill Farm".

Have you tried posting on "Sheffield Forum" and asking if anyone is related to your line?

I recently found via a second cousin that her cousin had a photo of my great uncle's grave in Belgium, he'd been killed in WW1, I've been looking for ages for it.

You never know what you may find until you ask the questions.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene
I hvae that photo and I have been and taken an up to date photo of the farm I will try Sheffield Forum thanks for your reply its much appreciated

Chris