Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 Register

On the register what does it mean on some of the entries "This entry has been officially closed"
I meant to ask on my earlier post

Thank you
Christine

Re: 1939 Register

Hi Christine

It means that there is a possibility of that person still being alive. Both my parents are still alive, born in 1937 and 1938, and their records are officially closed on the register. It's similar to the 100 year rule we have when it comes to accessing census details; it's to protect the living.

Carol

My husband was a baby in 1939 and is very much alive today and he appears on the register. He’s not the only person I know of who is still alive but is on the 1939 register. It is still worth checking even if you know someone is still alive.

Regards
Margaret

My mother aged 92 and my mother-in-law who's 94 are both "blanked out" on the 1939 register as they're still both alive. My aunt whose husband was killed in action in WW2 has her name there with an amendment to her married name and acknowledging the fact that her husband was killed in action quite rightly.
My husband's 2 aunts are on there with their names amended to their married names saying that both their husbands were killed in action in WW2 when they clearly weren't, I've met them both.
There are inaccuracies in the amendments made prior to releasing to the general public.

Marlene C.

Hi Marlene

The KIA is more likely to be the code used for enumeration

Yorkshire, West Riding Sheffield CB KIA

see here

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts

Vicki

Hi Vicki,
Thanks for that, I've looked at the list and I see what you mean although it clearly says it against my aunt's details giving the date of death of my uncle.
Would it be presented the same way on Ancestry which is where I reviewed the 1939 register.
Incidentally, a funny story about the 1939 register: When the list was being compiled, my uncle, who was 12 at the time, was the only one at home when they called to the house, being a bit smart he gave all the names and ages of the family including the family cat Tiger which obviously wasn't recorded!
Regards,
Marlene C.

Thank you for all your replies

Regards

Christine

Hi Marlene

My aunty's is listed under her maiden name. It has then been amended as she married in 1940. Sadly her husband died in WW2 but the date at the side of her name & KIA is the year she was re-married, rather than the date of death of her first husband.

It's just coincidence that the area code for Sheffield is KIA, which we generally read as killed in action.

Re your note about 2 aunts ...

" are on there with their names amended to their married names saying that both their husbands were killed in action in WW2 when they clearly weren't, I've met them both ".

Have a look at the dates at the side of the KIA entry for their names and see if they correspond with their marriage dates.

Vicki