Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield and religion and Trademarks

I have traced the Maxfield family back into the 1600s and I now want to fill out my knowledge of them historically and know more about the world they lived in so I have 2 otherwise unrelated questions.
What would have been the religious implications on my family (all cutlers and Shearsmiths, etc.) of times like the Civil War and the Catholic/ Protestant tensions of the Stuarts? Was Sheffield Cathedral Protestant or Catholic? Would they have had to fight in the many wars of those times and can I find anything out about that?
Secondly I know that many of the family were Cutlers/ Shearsmiths and completed apprenticeships. Would they have their own trademarks and would I be able to find them?
I would appreciate any help. Any knowledge anyone can share? Websites to research? Books?
Thanks so much in advance.

Tony Maxfield

Re: Sheffield and religion and Trademarks

Tony
All trade marks are recorded at the Cutlers Hall in Sheffield. In the list of apprentices and freemen to the left, Generally if a man is marked with F (for freeman) with a year alongside it then that will be the year he recorded a mark and paid for it.
The archivist at the Cutlers hall is usually very helpful. You can try emailing her with a list of names with year each one became freeman. I guess if you live in Sheffield you could go along there and look them up yourself.
I shall send you privately her email.
What is now Sheffield Cathedral was a then a parish church. It was, and still is, C of E
Dave

Thank you Dave. Will do that.

Tony

Tony,
Suggest you read the Wikipedia entry for Sheffield Castle
Dave

Thank you Dave. She was very helpful and I got several trademarks.

Tony