Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clough House, St Marys, Bramall Lane

Hi
I am looking for any information on any of the following. Clough House, Cottage or wheel. Based around Shoreham St, St Marys Road known as Clough House Lane/ New Hereford Street.

My grand parents lived at 79 Clough Road for nearly 40 years till 1979. The house is still there now 2 flats. There used to be 2 stone pillars outside the front door with the words "Clough House" etched in them. Where did they come from? and why?.

I have maps showing Clough Wheel on the Sheaf around Queens Road junction with St Marys. Clough House is shown on a lane running up from this junction as Clough Lane and Clough Cottage is further down on the Sheaf near Heeley Bottom.

I also have records of Clough House used as a school with Mr Richard Bowling listed amongst many on 1871 census. Edmund Winder Surveyor and Estate Agent is also recorded as having lived there and Benjamin Wainwright took a lease on the property in 1805.
I would like to know when the house was built and pulled down.

Julie Habelhames Elwood family

Re: Clough House, St Marys, Bramall Lane

The earliest I have found is a marriage in 1838 George and Maria Hounsfield - so we can assume it was built before then. they show up on the 1841 census in Clough House

Have you seen the picture of Clough House on picture Sheffield ref s05910? Unfortunately, no clues to when it was built or demolished.

Among the subscribers' names in a book by Charles HARRISON, FHS, entitled "A treatise on the culture and management of fruit trees" and published in 1823, is Mr B HOUNSFIELD, Clough House, Sheffield.

Hi
I have seen picture on Picture Sheffield and its not Clough House, far too small to be a school housing at least 20 children plus staff. Its more likely to be Clough Cottage.
Thank you

Hi
Thanks for the message. I will have a look at the census.

Thank you