Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glossop Road in 1841 Census

Hi Matt, have you tried the 1841 site here? I tried Elizabeth and she didn't show however when I put in Mary Smith there she was along with William and Elizabeth and a further 22 names all on {Piece #1333/4, folio 44b, enumeration district 5}
Don't know if this helps.
Regards Barry Green

Hi Matt/Barry,

I am having problems pulling up the Folio number on our transcription for some reason.

I have to go out and after a very quick look at my originals I notice there is the Old Barracks on Glossop Road. Could that be why the children seem to be with Mary Smith.

Have to go out now but will see what I find later today if your question has not been answered.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Barry

Thanks Elaine

Hi Matt,

I have been able to turn the Entry for Elizabeth & William on our site as well as the Original.

Not saying I am correct but........

Could it be that the household on Glossop Road was split up incorrectly by the enumerator.
Have the / & // slashes been placed in the wrong places.

If you look at the entry starting with Maria Kirkby aged 55 Ind. born Yks. Head of Household.
Then comes Samuel Kirkby aged 35 Merchant (probably a son)
Maria Kirkby aged 25 (Daughter in law?)
Hannah Kirkby 15 (daughter?)
Then we have the single slash / which closes off the household with the same name.
Next is Mary Hibberd aged 25 F.S.
Followed by what would be the Normal end of ALL household members. //

Now comes the leap of faith.

/Elizabeth Webster aged 6
William Webster aged 2
//Mary Smith F.S. aged 20

Could Elizabeth & William be children of Maria's from an earlier marriage?
I could only find one William born in Sheffield in 1839 that was registered. Mothers M.N. Booth.

Dont forget that all adults on the 1841 census were supposed to have their ages rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0. Making Maria 25 to 29.

I have not traced a Kirkby & Booth marriage which might prove my theory.

BUT thats the fun of it all.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Matt et al,

I cannot help with the 1841 census but as Elaine suggested there may be more info on subsequent ones.
Possible scenarios:
1851- Elizabeth Webster B:1835 is a scholar at a private school, St.Mary's, Thurlow Place, Lambeth, Surrey.
Her parents, William (a merchant) & Eliz, brother William and 3 servants, in 1851 are at Broomhill Terrace, Sheffield.

1861- The whole family are re-united under one roof at Cherrytree Hill, William listed as a manufacturer of cutlery.

10th Dec/1875- there is a death in a British newspaper for Elizabeth Webster, parents, Elizabeth & William Webster.

William B:1839 goes on to marry Georgina Beaumont and takes over the family business of cutlery manufacturing.

Happy Hunting
Wendy:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy and friends,

Your info matches what I had followed up with. I was leaving it to some of you super sleuths to present it. LOL.

This family would have been very wealthy so I would imagine that their history would have been well known in the family. I believe William snr had 50+ men working for him.

I would just like to point out to newer researchers that when researching you have to look at the census prior to and after the dates you are interested in. If your info is incorrect prior to when these census started researching will be even harder prior to 1841. Off my soap box.:older_woman:

Elaine in Ottawa.

There is quite a lot of information in Tweedales Directory of Cutlery Manufacturers about this company.

Angela

Hi all
I agree with the census findings that Wendy found for Elizabeth Webster b.1835. I do not think the death that was stated in 1875 is correct. The newspaper report is for a 4 year old.
In 1866 William Webster senior b.1804 died and is buried in Ecclesall All Saints.

In 1871, Elizabeth Webster widow and mother b.1801 Huddersfield is living at Park Lane.
Living with her
Elizabeth Webster Head 1801 b.Huddersfield
Elizabeth Turner Daughter 1835 b.Sheffield
Alice E Turner Granddaughter 1863 b.Sheffield
Edith J Turner Granddaughter 1865
plus servants

Probable marriage- Elizabeth Webster to John Kent Turner 12 Nov 1861 at Sheffield Cathedral.

Sue

Hi Elaine, Sue et al,

OOPS...!! Mea Culpa. Point taken Elaine. Thanks for the enlightenment Sue.

Cheers, Wendy:disappointed: :sleuth_or_spy: