Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible bigamist???

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking at the tree of a distant relative of mine, I have found her marriage, baptism, death etc, followed her on the census but her husband has me curious.
Her name is Sarah Mercer and she was baptised on 14/10/1810 in Sheffield, she married Joseph Strafford at Sheffield cathedral on 23/11/1836. I picked them up on the 1841 census living in Rotherham with their children. The two older children were born before they were married (Thomas and John) which led me to believe that Joseph had possibly been married before. I had a look on FMP and found a marriage to Sarah Lound at Rotherham Minster on 25/12/1831. When I looked up her death record I expected to find one before 1836 which is when he married his second wife but can't find any record on FMP, the nearest date is 1838 at Sheffield cathedral.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kerry.

Re: Possible bigamist???

Hello Kerry
I found this family on the 1851 census, there are children born in the 1840s - William, Charles, George. I used the GRO to find their mothers' maiden name, it is given as Lound.
So this is the family of Joseph Strafford and Sarah Lound and not the Strafford-Mercer family.

Anne

Re: Possible bigamist???

Thank you Anne, I will look into this. It maybe I've got this totally wrong!

Kerry