Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brickwall on Sheffield Wood family.

Hi, this is my first time posting and I'm hoping you lovely Sheffield lot can help me with a brick wall I haven't managed to crack on my Sheffield Wood family.

My 2 X Great Grandfather was called Joseph Wood, born 1838/1839 in Sheffield (according to all census returns from 1871 up to 1911, with the exception of one which states Manchester.

I have only managed to uncover his fathers name from his marriage certificate but I would love to find out more about his parentage and his siblings.

Sometime between birth and 1864 Joseph moved to the North East of England. He married my 2 X Great grandmother Ann Shone on 21/10/1864 in Sunderland. On his marriage certificate his father is named as William Wood and his occupation is listed as a Publican.

Joseph married again in 1903 after the death of my GG Grandmother, this time he marries in marries in Harrogate to Fanny Ireland and again his father is named as Willim, occupation Licensed wine and spirt merchant. Joseph returns to the North East after this marriage.

A distant relative has suggested that Josephs mother was Margaret Young. I have uncovered a marriage between William Wood and Margaret Young in 1835 at the Cathedral church of St Peter and St Paul in Sheffield but have not managed to uncover any further information on the rest of the Wood family from Sheffield.

I would love to find out more about Josephs origins in Sheffield and about his family here, I would welcome any guidance anyone can provide.

Thanks in

Mary

Re: Brickwall on Sheffield Wood family.

Hi Mary,

Do you know about the Sheffield Council Website for BMD's?

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/Home.aspx

This was recently completed by S&DFHS and they have fixed many of the errors.

I entered Joseph Wood and 1838 with a three year search.
The search brought up four possibles.
There is only one in 1838.
If you then check the GRO index out and as it shows the mothers maiden name you might be able to work it out if its him. If not you might have to purchase the certificate.

One other question have you found him on the 1841/51 & 1861 census?
We transcribed the 1841 census and have an index over to the left. Check that out also.
If that is him in 1838 he could be listed under our Parish Records. (Bap).

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Theajob,
Does look like you have the right couple as on FMP I found this.

JOSEPH
Last name
WOOD
Birth year
Birth quarter
Registration month
-
Mother's last name
Younge
District
Sheffield
County
Yorkshire
Country
England
Volume
Page
Record set
England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Category
Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory
Civil Births
Collections from
Great Britain, England

Only one that fits the bill on 1841 census on FMP is this one but it questions if William is his father why would there be two Josephs in the family and could he have possibly been a grandson? Or did William marry for a second time? No sign of a Margaret Wood dying!
1841 census
Household Members

William
Wood
Male
Yorkshire, England
Ann
Wood
Female
Yorkshire, England
Joseph
Wood
Male
Yorkshire, England
John
Wood
Male
Yorkshire, England
Joseph
Wood
Male
-
Joseph
Last name
Wood
Sex
Male
Birth year
Birth county
-
Birth place (other)
-
House name
-
House number
-
Street
Young Street
Parish or township
Sheffield
Town
Ecclesall Bierlow
City or borough
Sheffield
Registration district
Ecclesall Bierlow
County
Yorkshire, Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country
England
Occupation
-
Family member first name(s)
Joseph, John, Ann, William
Family member last name
Wood
Archive reference
HO107
Piece number
Book number
Folio number
Page number
Record set
1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Category
Census, land & surveys
Subcategory
Census
Collections from
Great Britain, England

Is this the family on 1871?
Event Place Bedlington Station, Bedlington, Northumberland, England

Joseph Wood Head M 33 miner Sheffield, Yorkshire
Ann Wood Wife F 24 Longton, Staffordshire
Henry Wood Son M 6 Sleekburn, Northumberland
John Wood Son M 2 Sleekburn, Northumberland

Elaine in Ottawa.

the 1871 census return is the correct Jospeh. He remained in Bedlington for all subsequent census retuns up to 1911 with the exception of the 1901 census where I couldn't locate him (I suspect that he was estranged from his wife by this time)

I haven't as yet been able to locate him in the 1841, 1851 or 1861 census as I've been looking for a Joseph Wood either in Sheffield or Durham area (where he was at his marriage in 1864) with a William or Margaret Wood.

I know obviously that he was born in Sheffield and the birth of Jospeh Wood with mothers name, Young is correct (as per information given by a distant relative) but I'm not sure if he lived in Sheffield for long. I do know from information given by my distant relative that he was living Iin St Philip Street, I'm not sure if she has this information from a birth certificate.

Sheffield Independent 26 April 1828.

Notice is hereby given that the partnership between William Wood and Richard Wood
of Sheffield, co partners under the firm William Wood & Co. maltsters, wine, spirit
and porter merchants is dissolved by the death of Richard Wood: business to be
carried on by said William Wood.

So far I have not found any more information about this company.

Moira.

That's really interesting Moira.

Joseph on early census return is a coal miner but he went on to be a mineral water manufacturer (sometime beer manufacturer) in the North East. When I saw his fathers occupation I wondered if this is where he got his inspiration from.

It looks like I need to research this William/ Richard Wood connection further to see if they link to my Joseph Wood.

From this site under directories: Wood, William (, wine and spirit merchant, maltster and porter dealer).
Address: Bank St, Sheffield in 1825.
Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield

And to go with Helen's findings.

WOOD, William (Qualifying property, House and Brewhouse).
Address: West Bar Green, Sheffield in 1843 - 1844.
Recorded in: Sheffield Burgess Rolls.

How about in 1841.
Wood, William of Westbar Green, Sheffield North. Aged 25 years.
(Piece #1335/5, folio 10b, enumeration district 10.)

Sheffield North was where Joseph was registered in 1838.

Elaine.

That's a brilliant find. Not ruling it out entirely.

Had a quick look at the Gro index and see that the birth of Lucy Ann b 1840 on the census return in 1841 has Holland Listed as the mothers name. Of course I haven't yet proved if Joseph mother was Young, I only have this information given by a distant relative and of course his mother could have died and his father remarried, however there is another birth listed for this couple in March of 1838 for a girl and Joseph was born In September 1838 (that's if his mother is Young)

I will see if I can find this couple on subsequent census returns.

This could be a mere conincidence but following on from Moira and Helens information re: William a wood & co a search uncovered a Robert Younge, born 1801 in Sheffield, Wine Merchant.

Going back to my distant relatives suggestion about Josephs mother being Margaret Younge I'm wondering if this Robert and Margaret are connected seeing as the two professions of William Wood and Robert Younge are very similar.

I need to do a little more digging into this too.

I hope I'm not sending you off on a wild goose chase, but I propose that the Wood family or at least the family of Richard Wood, are from Ecclesfield and that that is where your digging could continue. There is an obituary in the Sheffield Independent dated Mar. 29, 1828 for Richard Wood, Red Hill of Messrs Wood, maltsters of Bank Street stating he died on Monday. As Mar. 29,1828 was a Saturday, that makes Monday, Mar. 24. There is a burial in the churchyard of St. Mary's Ecclesfield of a Richard Wood age 45 buried/died 24-3-1828 with stone reference #167. There are numerous Wood's buried in this churchyard but more specifically 5 others buried in that same plot. William Wood age 71 buried 2-9-1830, Mary Wood age 35 buried 6-6-1761, Richard Wood age 79 buried 8-2-1799, Elizabeth Wood age 55 buried 12-2-1808 and Sarah Wood age 25 buried 27-2-1817 all buried with the reference # 167. Possibly also connected is Benjamin Wood age 81 buried 4-3-1820 with reference #168, which I would assume is next to 167. I don't know if any of these will be related to your Joseph Wood, but it seems a possible lead.

Helen, thanks so much for that.

Shame I've got to go to work this morning, I would have liked to have got my teeth stuck straight into this. I suppose patience is a virtue.