Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christ Church, Heeley, Sheffield burial map

I know the plot where my 3 x GGF is buried but I cant seem to find a plan of the burials at Church Church, Heeley. Has anyone any suggestions as to where I can find one?

Re: Christ Church, Heeley, Sheffield burial map

Hello Debbie,

There is no reference to a burial map for that church in the Burial register.

Regards

Terry

Hi Debbie
If you can give more details about your 3xggfather then I can hopefully track him down in the log of graves and inscriptions that we hold at the church. About 20/25 years ago someone from, I think, S&DFHS recorded all the inscriptions of the graves in the churchyard together with a plan of where the graves are. I believe there were two copies made, the one we have at church and I think one for the archives.

Steve

The Archives copy is listed in this guide on their website: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/MIs%20v1.5.pdf

Hugh

Hi Steve
I have 3 sets of great grandparents who are buried at Christ Church, Heeley. They are John and Ann Child (sect Front Grave 103), John and Harriett Memmott (sect Front Grave 139) and George and Ann Memmott (sect Front Grave 118). All three have headstones.
Debbie

Hi Debbie
Thanks for the information. Will have a look for you this weekend.

Steve

Hi Debbie
I have managed to locate two of the three graves. As you enter the churchyard from Gleadless Road the Front Section is everything to the left of the footpath and bounded by the west wall of the church, the wall on Gleadless Road and the land on Hartley Street.
John and Ann Child FS103 is right up against the boundary with the land in Hartley Street. Look out for a rotten tree stump with ivy growing on it near the fence and you should find the grave, it is a small headstone.
To get to Ann and John's grave you will have to go past a large tombstone near a tree that has an urn on top of it and a cloth 'falling' out of the urn. A couple of rows in front of that grave is the headstone of George and Ann Memmott (FS118)Also in that grave is their son Amos buried 11 June 1879 aged 80.
Just behind the urn grave towards Gleadless Road is another Memmott grave which is listed as FS135 which you haven't asked about however if you find that it is the row that FS 139 should be on. Where FS139 should be is a grassy area, I can only assume that at some point the headstone has fallen and is under the grass somewhere. The church has not moved any headstones so it should be in situ.
If you want any more info or help in finding them then let me know and I'll happily sort something out for you.
By the way there is a fourth Memmott grave in the churchyard for a George Memmott died 19 July 1877 and his wife Mary (2 Dec 1888) plus their son, his wife and a couple of grandchildren. That one is behind the church up against the back boundary wall near the playing field.
Hope this helps
Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for your help. I hope to go sometime next weekend to view them.

I will look further into my family tree for George Memmott and his wife Ann which you mentioned.

The information you have provided is brilliant.

Thank you once again

Debbie

Hi, I am also looking for a great uncle buried in Christ Church, Heeley. His name is Samuel Fletcher and he passed in 1898. I have searched the churchyard but no joy. Can you help? Thank you

Hi Richard,

Question.

Using FreeBMD there is no Samuel Fletcher from Sheffield listed in 1898.
I did find the following is this your chap.

Deaths Jun 1897
Fletcher Samuel 42 Sheffield 9c 277

However
From S&DFHS Booklet "The Small Guide to Parish in the Sheffield Area" it states that they covered 1846-1906. I could not find him on the disc.
It also states that there is a full MI transcription and graveyard plan held at Sheffield Archives.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

There is this burial in Heeley Christ Church.

FLETCHER Samuel aged 24 buried 15 Sep 1898 of 2 hse ct 20 Gleadless Rd

There is no MI for him so probably no gravestone.

This is the registration.
Deaths Sep 1898
Fletcher Samuel 24 Ecclesall B. 9c 276

Angela

Morning Debbie/Angela,

Sorry about that its now turning the burial up for me and on FreeBMD.

Just needed a quick kick you know where LOL.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you all for your help and information. I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance but what is an MI?

Hello Richard,

Monumental Inscription.

Regards

Terry