Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help/Information Required Please

I'm wish to locate a Birth Register of Hannah Duckenfield (or Dockenfield) who was born around 1796 and I have found such a lady was baptised at Cathedral St. Peter, Sheffield on 24 July of that year and have been given a reference FHL 919419. I don't know Sheffield apart from taking my daughter to the university but I am unsure how to access this information whether it is held online or microfish. Can someone point me in the right direction please. Much obliged. Dave Carlton

Re: Help/Information Required Please

A scanned image is available online on Find My Past. Subscription required.

Hi Dave,

It would seem we have a connection though mine is rather convoluted.

Hannah had a sister Ann two years older that married a Tyas and one of their children married into my Batty line.

I had also found a burial for Hannah daughter of Richard who died in 1819.

DUCKENFIELD, Hannah (da, died on ?, at the age of ).
Resided at and buried on 22 Sep 1819 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St. Paul Cemetery, City Center.
Notes: . Place of Birth: . Parent(s): Richard.

Is this your family.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Dave,

Hannah Duckenfield baptised 24 July 1796 at Sheffield Parish Church,
parents - Richard and Charlotte.

Ann Duckenfield baptised 23 March 1794 at Sheffield Parish Church,
parents - Richard and Charlotte.

Moira.

Elaine,

I would also have to agree that my connection to Hannah Duckinfield is also rather convoluted. Hannah married Joseph Banham and it is this family name that I'm researching as it was my mother's maiden name.

I agree with you that Hannah had an elder sister named Ann who married a Tyas and this caused to do a double-take as my great-grandmother's first husband what a Joseph Dyas from Lincolnshire.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I did a little more digging yesterday making sure I had the right info.
I ended up doing far more than I usually do for folks that marry into my direct lines.

Would you like the info? I can send you a pdf file with it on. (For Ann)
Did Hannah get married in Sheffield do your know? The Dukenfields seem to come from Coal Aston Derbyshire.

The marriage would have been at the Parish Church which is now the Cathedral as ALL Sheffield marriages were supposed to take place there until 1848. There were very few churches in Sheffield at this time.

The Tyas line I have with limited info seems to be from Sheffield. That is until 1742 when one William Tyas was baptised at Wortley by Penistone.

Let me know if you want the pdf file.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Moira,

Thanks, that corroborates the info I have.....

My problem is that the number of Richards in the family confuse things. LOL. Doesn't take much these days.

I also believe that the family either were or became Methodists so baptisms are hard to find for those coming forward. BUT there are some early on at St John Dronfield. The Cathedral has six of Richard & Charlotte (Hartley) Duckenfields children.
last one 1803. Richard I believe is in the General Cemetery and Charlotte is back in Dronfield at St Johns.

So not bad info really for folks that married into my line in 1816.
Thanks again for your help.

Elaine.:cat:

Hi Elaine,

England and Wales Non Conformist Burials.
Richard Duckinfield, died 4 May 1837, buried 7 May 1837 aged 79, natural decay,
silver stamper born Dronfield. Parents, Richard and Hannah.
Sheffield General Cemetery.

Charlotte Duckenfield aged 61 years, buried 25 February 1824 at Dronfield,
spouse Richard.

Moira.

Hello David et al,
Just to throw another spanner into the work, on Family Search they have Hannah Duckenfield in two separate marriages

1) on 13th March, 1815 at Sheffield Parish Ch.(Cathedral) to a Joseph Rodger

2) on 11th Feb, 1818 ditto to a Joseph Benham (aka Banham)

3) on 30th March 1817 Joseph Rodger married Ann Frost at Sheffield

could these have been re-marriages in both cases...??

Cheers :sleuth_or_spy:

Evening Moira & Wendy.

I had found the information on FreeREg/Familysearch/General Cemetery CD and Ancestry.

The problem with this family (like many others) they keep repeating the same family names
especially Hannah & Richard.

Duckenfield.
1.Hannah & Richard probably married in Derbyshire. Richard died in 1802 Dronfield. (I hope)
2. Charlotte Hartley & Richard (1758) married in Coal Aston 1781.
This couple had a son Richard in Sheffield Bap 1784.(Note the gap between marriage and the date of baptisms of his son Richard) First child of six. Charlotte died 1824.
3. Elizabeth Maxfield & Richard married in Sheffield 1799.I have found five children.

The dates just dont add up as I had thought that Richard (#2) first marriage was to Charlotte & then to Elizabeth.

Richard #2 was a Silver Plater and was buried in the Gen Cem non con.
Charlotte died in Sheffield but was buried in Dronfield St Johns.

Think you can see from that its not as easy as one would think with an unusual name like Duckenfield. LOL.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,

Just a couple of questions.

When Hannah Duckenfield married Joseph Benham in 1818, one of the witnesses
was Thomas Duckenfield. Do you know where he comes in?

In 1837 at Sheffield Parish Church, Joseph Banham, Widower, married Hannah Bellamy,
Widow. Do you know if this is the Joseph who previously married Hannah Duckenfield?

Moira.

Hi Moira,

I dont have that information and probably dont need it but Dave does as he has quoted
the Joseph Banham marriage. My problem is sorting the Richards out.

I am sure Dave will answer.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine et al,
Elaine: Could Richard Duckenfield, baptized 1784 have been the one to marry Elizabeth Maxfield? Your comment that there is a large gap between the marriage of Richard & Charlotte in 1781 and this baptism, could mean Richard(bapt.1784) is a possible contender if he was actually born 1781/82, for the marriage to Elizabeth M.. in 1799..??

Moira: There is a possible death on Free BMD in 1844 at Sheffield for Hannah Banham, (possibly nee Duckenfield or possibly nee Bellamy), which if this is Hannah Duckenfield, her age at death would be 48/49.
There is also a death record for Joseph Banham on SI for 7th Dec/1867 age 74 and is also recorded on BMD.
If the Hannah who died in 1844 is a Duckenfield, then I would think the marriage of widower Joseph Banham to Hannah Bellamy in 1837, could be eliminated. But.. if the death recorded in 1844 is Hannah Banham nee Bellamy, then it is a possibility.

Note: Bellamy is my Family Tree but only a hint of a Hannah way back and on another branch.

More fuel for the fire
Cheers
Wendy: sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

I must admit that can be the only answer. BUT...... what is throwing me is that Richard was baptised in 1784 and the marriage to Elizabeth took place in 1799. Maybe Richard was 2-3 yrs old at his baptism........ Or is there another Richard somewhere who married Elizabeth.

The fun of it all. LOL.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hello All,

I seemed to have created a bit of a monster with my original request for help which I'm grateful to all for your time and effort.

With all the information and suggestions offered, I decided to go over my findings just to make sure I have got the correct individuals but there still exists areas that require research. However, Joseph Banham (1793 - 1867) is definitely my 3rd great-grandfather who originally married Hannah Dockinfield or Duckenfield, depending on how the name has been written. (I have had similar issues with the Banham name i.e., Benham, Baughaus). Hannah and Joseph had 4 children George, Robert, John and William, George being my 2nd great-grandfather. Hannah died in 1844 and Joseph married again the following year to Elizabeth Taylor, (considerably younger than him) and they had another 5 children and possibly more that I've not found. Elizabeth registered Joseph's death in 1867 and I have a copy of this.

I have decided for the time being to concentrate wholly on the Banham tree for the time being to see how far back I can go but clearly, this will depend on the records kept in that era.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave.