Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revill Lane Cemetery

My Gx3 grandparents Samuel & Hannah Raybould are buried at this cemetery but it looks as though it doesn't exist anymore when I have tried to locate it on Google Maps. Would anyone be able to advise what happened to this cemetery and what became of any headstones there? I had hoped to visit and try and locate the grave but I assume that's not possible if the cemetery doesn't exist anymore.

Claire

Re: Revill Lane Cemetery

Hi Claire,

Like yourself I have tried Google Maps with NO luck.

Most of the housing around Revill Lane, Woodhouse looks to be post 1960s.

S&DFHS booklet on Cemeteries states that burials took place there between 1875-1949.
Have you Googled?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Claire, Revill Lane runs from Beaver Hill Road just above the Badger Estate opposite the playground, Just after Tithe Barn Lane and the former cemetery is on the right. regards Barry

Hi,

There is an old map showing the cemetery on sheffieldhistory.co.uk. Map no is 157 Woodhouse/beaver hill area.

Regards

Lindsey

Thank you all. I will take a look for the map. Is it worth still a visit up there or nothing left to see?

I've Googled around but not much info at all other than that Sheffield Archives holds the burial records for the time it was open. I've got transcripts of the burials on a CD I purchased a number of years ago.

Claire

Hi,

If viewed on Google Earth, area looks to be no longer a cemetery.I can see no evidence of gravestones, only the old entrances remain. Plot is now a mixture of mature trees and maintained grassland.

Barry C.

The Cemetery is still there but the gravestones are laid flat to to ground and most of them are covered in grass so you will have to prod and poke to find them. 10 years ago found a gravestone for someone but went up years later and could not find it.

Trevor

Hi Trevor. I did find the cemetery. I find it really sad what has become of it to be honest. When you see it now, its hard to believe that so many people were laid to rest there with nothing really left to show. I would say there is about 50 stones laid down that you can just about read and some of those are under soil now. I took photos of the ones you could still see and I am adding slowly to the Find a Grave website.

Claire