Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alice Turner born May 1863

This is a long shot. My great aunt Alice Turner was the daughter of Richard Turner and Elizabeth Sewards. She was born in Lincoln May 1863 and baptised at All Saints, Brightside on 26 Apr 1869 with a number of her siblings. I have her living at home on the 1871 census and on the 1881 census she is working as a servant in Brightside. She was the 2nd of 12 children - all of whom I have fully traced except for Alice.

Has anybody come across a marriage certificate for Alice? Her father Richard would be shown as "Blacksmith" or "Jobbing blacksmith". Some family notes I have suggest she may have married a bank clerk, possibly had a connection with the Salvation Army (checked that out with no success) and possibly visited or lived in Buenos Aires.

I said it was a long shot!

Re: Alice Turner born May 1863

You like me Steve having no luck either. I had not found her in 1881 so I had presumed she had died. Time to get thinking cap on then. John PS It was Elizabeth then that did not marry is that correct?

FreeBMD shows an Alice Turner died in Sheffield in 1908 44yo 1864 birth.I would say this is most likely and i,m aware ages on a death certificate is not 100%.
She could be in Tinsley Park.
I don't find a marriage on FMP or ancestry.

Regards

Terry

The Alice Turner who died in 1908 was aged 44 and was the wife of John Henry. John

Yes, Elizabeth died unmarried. Family notes suggest Alice did marry but I have no idea who! She may have married away from Sheffield. The only clues I have are from family notes that suggest a connection with the Salvation Army (who I have checked with) and that she married a bank clerk and Buenos Aires. That's it.

I have to say the family notes have been correct in every other respect with regard to her siblings and I suspect were written by my grandmother Nellie.

I have Alice in 1881 census working as a servant at 38 Burngreave Road. Unmarried, age 17, born Lincoln. You'll see it on my Ancestry tree.