Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
phone/address directories

Here in Canada at our local library, they hold phone directories for every year that we can go through to search by name or street. Very great resource. I am wondering if there is any way of looking at a certain address over a 10 year span to see if the same family remains there. The address is 58 Bailey Street (Park), Sheffield. Time frame 1875 - 1885. I see the family in the 1881 census but wanted to know if they were there prior to 1881 and after the census. Thank you kindly.

Re: phone/address directories

Directories are on this site for certain periods. Scroll down on the left hand side.
Archives and local studies have a range of street directories & Electoral registers but not everyone appeared in them according to their status.
Lyn

BRAMHALL, David (Qualifying property, House).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, St Georges in 1855.
Recorded in: Sheffield Burgess Rolls.
Find Similar at Same Address if Available Surname Match if Available

Brown, John (, baker).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, Sheffield in 1825.
Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

REVILLE, Samuel (Qualifying property, House).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, St George in 1875-1876.

Lyn
Directories are on this site for certain periods. Scroll down on the left hand side.
Archives and local studies have a range of street directories & Electoral registers but not everyone appeared in them according to their status.
Lyn

BRAMHALL, David (Qualifying property, House).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, St Georges in 1855.

Brown, John (, baker).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, Sheffield in 1825.
Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

REVILLE, Samuel (Qualifying property, House).
Address: 58 Bailey Street, St George in 1875-1876.
Hi Lyn, I ask this because a couple news articles I have make mention a young girl, Mary Ann Parker in the newspaper in 1876 and 1878 being neglected/abused and the father and step mother brought up before the court, and Mary Ann being sent into the Workhouse and once making she makes a false statement to get into the Workhouse! So I was trying to see who lived at that address given (58 Bailey, Park) in the article at that time. This may give me at least her father's name which they did not give but gave the step mother's name, Martha Hodgson (spelling?).

Fir vale Work house wasn't built until 1878 onwards so took in 'residents' from around 1880.If I come across anything I will let you know.
Lyn

Hi Dawn,

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 19 November 1875.
School board prosecutions for not sending children to school.
One of them is Wm. Parker, collier, of 58 Bailey Street, fined 5s.

Moira.

Moira Hyde
Hi Dawn,

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 19 November 1875.
School board prosecutions for not sending children to school.
One of them is Wm. Parker, collier, of 58 Bailey Street, fined 5s.

Moira.
Wonderful information, thank you!! :smiley:
Now to find who else lived there at the time other than William and daughter Mary Ann. So hopeful now!!

Lyn
Fir vale Work house wasn't built until 1878 onwards so took in 'residents' from around 1880.If I come across anything I will let you know.
Lyn
Thank you Lyn

Hi Dawn,
The family were living at Garden Street Court in 1871, William Parker, Sarah Parker (both from Ireland), Mary Ann from Lancashire, son William Parker and other daughters Catherine and Sarah born in in Yorkshire.
WendyW

The 1878 court report says her sister lived in the Park but their parents lived in Bailey Street (which is not in the Park).

I note that in 1881 six of the family are called 'BARKER' but, on turning a page, the two youngest are 'PARKER':slightly_smiling_face:

Hugh