Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Allen family

Hello I’m trying to find out what happened to my aunt Lucy Allen DOB April 1917 I hope you can help me thanks Darrell

Re: Allen family

To get the ball rolling on FreeBMD.

Births Jun qtr 1917
Allen Lucy Hague Sheffield 9c 958

Would her mothers maiden name be "Hague"

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

According to GRO her MMN was Hague.
According to Free BMD between 1935 and 1938 (Lucy would be 18-21) there are 4 possible marriages, 2 in Sheffield, one in Ecclesall Bierlow and one in Rotherham. The certificates will give father name.Only one Lucy H is recordedr but that is in Hackney in 1938
Dave

Hello love yes her mother's maiden name was Haugh hope you can help me thanks Darrell

Since you know she was born in April, do you have the actual date?

The Lucy ALLEN who married Anthony GRAYSON in DEC Qtr 1938 was born on 20 Apr 1917. In 1939 they were living at 18 Mandeville St (which is in Darnall) and had a son Anthony. (FMP has indexed them as 'CLAYSON' but I am sure it is GRAYSON and I have posted a correction.)

Hugh

Hugh that's the date i have for her I know it was nearly one year between my dad's birthay as was on the 24of April could you please help me find two of my other aunts there names are Emma and Phoebe Allen the same parents there are few auntsand uncle I don't know anything about my aunt's maiden name was Margaret Costello on her wedding license it says one of her witnesses was James Costello and we're it says farther occupation and his name is jaJam Costello decesdde he was from Ireland were he was born hope can help me thanks Darrell Allen

Hi Darrell,

I am presuming the marriage certificate you have is between Arthur Allen and
Margaret Costello, which took place on the 24 May 1920 at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Why her father is named as James I don't know, but the witness James Costello
is probably her brother.
Margaret gives her address as 72 Swarcliffe Road.
On the 1911 census, 72 Swarcliffe Road, Sheffield, are the following family.
Edward Costello, head, mar, 40yrs, coal miner, hewer, born Ireland
Martha Costello, wife, 34yrs, born Eckington.
MAGGIE Costello, dau, 9yrs, born Eckington.
The other children are: James 16 born Eckington, Thomas 14 born Eckington,
William 6 born Eckington, Edmond 3 born Darnall and Nellie 1 born Darnall.

In 1901 the family are living at Pinfold Street, Eckington.
Edmund Costello, 31, coal miner, born Ireland.
Martha Costello, 23, born Eckington.
Thomas Costello, 3, born Eckington.
Kate, Costello, 1, born Eckington.
William Costello, 21, brother, bricklayers labourer, born Ireland.
Son James,6yrs is living with his grandmother Mary Sherlock at Northgate, Eckington.

There is a marriage between Edmond Costello and Martha Sherlock at
Spinkhill I.C. Roman Catholic Chapel, Eckington in 1895.

In 1939 at 43 Don Road, Sheffield, there is John A. Allen born 1898, Margaret
Allen born 1901, Reginald Allen born 1920 and Marjorie Allen (Crutchley) born 1927.

The burials for John Arthur Allen and Margaret Allen are on this site.
See Burials in the left hand column.

Moira.

Hello again Moira know she lived on Don Road but I think I only went two are three times as there was great falling out in the family as my mother's first husband was also called Reginald Allen John Arthur Allen was his brother and the first Reginald was my farther thanks again Darrell

Looks like Pheobe got married to a Charles E Higgins in 1912. She is on 1939 register I think but I don't have a subscription to that. Maybe someone else has and you can get the address.