Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial records

Do you know if records were kept of people buried at Underbank Chapel Stannington in 1857. I have been asked by a contact in America if I can find out if his 2nd times removed great grandfather was buried there. He was in England a couple of years ago and found several grave stones of relatives buried there, but a lot of stones were covered over with grass sods , I have found details of Samuel's birth and christening (which was at Underbank) and the death of his mother on the same day as his birth. His details are Born 1806,, married 1833,died 1857.
Hope you
can help. Tried Sheffield council but they do not deal with Wortley anymore.
Many thanks.

Re: Burial records

Hi Barbara
What was Samuel's surname?

Sue

Hi Sue I believe its Nichols.

Elaine.

Barb and I are distant cousins.

Malcolm Nunn who is away at the moment might be able to help. He is at Bradfield Archives if we are unable to help.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Barb,

Just clicked where I had them stored. Unfortunately not on the site. Long story.

Samuel Nicholas 31st May 1857 Row #7 age 56.

Its not marked as having a headstone.

These graves are laid flat in front of the Chapel.To the left of the main path.

They were transcribed from the registers back in 1912. BY Leonard Short.

Elaine in Ottawa.

The Underbank burials have been transcribed and are fully searchable on this site under burials over to the left. A Harriet Smith is buried in the same grave as Samuel Nichols
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the swift kick. Of course after all your hard work I should have remembered.
LOL.

Elaine.