Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
France/Barratt/Paramore/Housman

I read a post a while ago about Eliza Oliver/Barratt/Paramore her mother Mary Ann Sellers is an interesting subject the topic said that she married 3 Paramore brothers - I found marriages to William 1859 and George 1864 but to not Henry. She probably just lived with widowed mother Grace Paramore and her younger son Henry in 1871 census. She then married widower Joseph Barratt in 1889. George Paramore died 1868. There was a son George born 1870 and Eliza came along in 1880. Was George Henry's child and was Eliza Joseph Barratt's???

I am researching France/Barratt/Howson/Housman/Gallimore ancestors. I look forward to hearing from anyone who may help. I am a Yorshire woman living in Cornwall now.

Sheffield indexers is a wonderful site and I thank all of you who have added to this resource
Can I offer any help - I am an experienced indexer (family search and free bmd).

Re: Transcribing help

Hi Heather,

Thank you very much for your kind comments re the site we aim to help where we can.

I am sure Vicki will see your message regarding your help and she will contact you ASAP.

As you know transcribing is very addictive.LOL

Have fun.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Transcribing help

Hi Heather

Can you email me please as mine to you are bouncing back

Thanks

Vicki

Joseph Barratt & Mary Ann Paramore

We appear to be following the same family

Joseph Barratt
1816–1855
BIRTH 1816 • Sheffd, Yorkshire, England
DEATH JULY 1855 • Yorkshire West Riding, United Kingdom
MY 3rd great-grandfather

His son is Joseph Barratt
1838–1918
BIRTH 31ST JANUARY 1838 • Sheffield
DEATH JUNE 1918 • 10, Grammer, Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
MY 3rd great-uncle

He married Mary Ann Hawley 1841 - 1880

Marriage
April 1860 Banns • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding
BARRATT, Joseph (Bachelor, age Full, File cutter, residing at Portland St). Married Mary Ann HAWLEY, on May 27, 1860, by Thomas Smith (Banns) at St Philips Church, Shalesmoor. Father's name is Joseph Barratt (File cutter).

They appear to have 9 Children

Burial
09 Jun 1880 • St. Phillips Parish, Sheffield, York, England
Mary Ann Barratt Gender: Female Marital Status: Married Age: 39 Birth Date: 1841 Burial Date: 9 Jun 1880 Burial Place: St. Phillips Parish, Sheffield, York, England Spouse: Joseph Barratt FHL Film Number: 993298 Reference ID: p464-no.3710

The 1881 Census he is living with his brother in law

Joseph Barratt & Mary Ann Paramore

The 1911 Census states that

Residence
02 Apr 1911 • 1 House 11 Ct Jerico Street Sheffield, Yorkshire-West Riding, England
Age: 73; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: File Cutter (hand) Married 28 years 1 child

Marriage
April 1882 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding
Mary Ann Paramoore
I think maybe St Phillips

Thier only child was
Harry Barratt
1883–1949
BIRTH 1883 • Sheffied
DEATH MAY 1949 • Shefield, Yorkshire West Riding
MY 1st cousin 3x removed

BARRATT, Joseph (File Cutter, age 80).
Died at 10 Grammar St; Buried on February 6, 1918 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 821, Section BB of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Attending Minister, J Thompson: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

He is buried with 3 other family members but not with his wives

If you have any more info I would be pleased to hear it

Angela

Re: France/Barratt/Paramore/Housman

Hi Heather,
One of my ggg grandmothers was Nancy Clarissa France, married Charles Wharton in 1836. I can go back a bit further on her line too if this is the line you're after.
Deb

Nancy Clarissa France - I have tried to find her in parish registers and burials so can you give me a clue who her parents are and I will see if they are in my tree?
Thankyou

Hello
The paramores family is my grandmothers ,
Mary ann sellars did marry 3 brothers then joseph barratt
My grandmothers father was william paramore and his mother was
Mary ann sellars,
All lived around st philips area of sheffield,

Tried to use the email but seems to be bouncing back

re paramore
From wh at i can see is that george paramore 1870 and elizabeth paramore 1880/81 are
both henrys children
joseph barret and mary an sellers having 1 child harry barret
not sure of the timescale but there is a hellen barret born 1882 died 1882 could be joseph barret and mary ann sellers/parmores first child
not quite sure

On elizabeth paramores birth certificate b1881 it does not state her father as henry paramore it is left blank
so we are not to sure as to when henry died so was mary ann sellars/paramore pregnant befor then married joseph barratt,
also did not find a marriage for henry and mary ann, maybe they did not bother with her having the paramore name from previous 2 marriages.

Harry Barratt was born on 31st January 1883
He was Baptised at St Stephens Church Sheffield on 4th April 1883
Parents Mary Ann & Joseph Barratt (File Cutter) living 33 Radford Street Sheffield

So it looks like the child belong to my 3 x Great Uncle joseph Barratt

Heather I have found a Baptism record for Eliza Paramore

Baptism place Sheffield, St Simon, Eyre Street on 06 Jul 1880 Parents Henry & Mary Maria (error) of 23 Matilda Street (same address as 1881 census)

Archive reference PR-57-1-2
Page 88

All 3 Paramore brothers are buried at Wardsend Cemetery

William Paramore age 23 was buried at Wardsend on 15th April 1864 Section Q Grave 343 He was the 1st Husband of Mary Ann Sellars/Paramore/Barratt

Mary Ann's 2nd Husband George age 28 was also buried in Section Q Grave 343 on 15th July 1866

Mary Ann's 3rd Husband Henry age 35 was buried 8th July 1879 Section Q Grave 341

The parents of the Paramore brothers are also buried at Wardsend mother Grace Paramore age 70 30th July 1871 Section Q Grave 343 maiden name Fenton

Father George Paramore age 61 28th June 1863 Section Q Grave 343

Heather I have found a Baptism record for Eliza Paramore

Baptism place Sheffield, St Simon, Eyre Street on 06 Jul 1880 Parents Henry & Mary Maria (error) of 23 Matilda Street (same address as 1881 census)

Archive reference PR-57-1-2
Page 88
Hello angela not sure if this is the correct eliza paramore 1880,as there was 2 paramore familys in more or less this area,as matilda street is a bit further over from were paramores lived.seem to have nearly identical names,

Paul

Hello Angela
Thankyou for posting the Burials for the 3 Paramore brothers in wardsend,
Also their parents George and Grace
I always wondered we're they was buried with living near St Phillips,now I can had this info to my collection.
Thankyou
Paul

I agree that the Baptism record for Eliza is incorrect after further research realised that there was another family living in Sheffield at that time ..I am sorry I forgot to retract this Baptism record

If You look at ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/wardsendcemeteryproject/permalink/2790424997645345/

I have told the story of Mary Ann Sellars/Paramore/Barratt who married 3 Paramore brothers & included evidence to support this

There are at least 21 members of the Paramore family buried at Wardsend Cemetery

Best wishes

Angela