Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tissington Family

I am trying to find a marriage for Anthony Tissington. Born c1799 in Wirksworth, Derbyshire. Moved to Sheffield around 1830. Lived in Hoyle Street (1841 census). Shortly after moving he was married to, I think, an Eliza Bennett or possibly Maw(e). I hope someone can help.
Thanks

Re: Tissington Family

The marriage is at Sheffield Parish Church which was the only Sheffield church licensed for marriages before 1848.
14 June 1834.
Anthony TISSINGTON, bachelor of this parish.
Eliza Bennet DERRICK, Spinster of this parish.
Anthony signed his name.
Eliza signed her name.
Witnesses Samuel MATHERS and Joseph HUDSON, the latter being a clerk of the church.

Angela

Thank you very much Angela. I have been trying to find where the Bennett name came from for a long time. It only appears after Anthony dies and I always thought it was possibly Eliza's maiden name. The Derrick surname has come as a surprise and given me a new line to search.

I presume you know that if you search for Wirkwsorth baptisms they are all on line and you can find details of Anthony and his parents Henry and Grace nee Gibson

Thank you for your interest John. Yes I have used the website to trace my family back to George born 1705. The confusion started with Ince's Pedigrees which states in my line, "Anthony Tissington of Sheffield married a Miss Mawe", that seems to be wrong. Another thing which diverted me was the story of Abraham Bennett which must be a coincidence.
Thanks again