Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tingles in Canada

Researching my Great Grandfather's household Albert Bruce, Firth Park Rd at the 1911 census I found a visitor Elsie Swain aged 5 ,niece, born in Canada. I was intrigued as I didn't know of anyone in the family who had gone to Canada. Over this past snowy weekend I delved into this and found that she was the daughter of Florence Swain nee Tingle. Florence was the sister of my Great Grandmother Ellen Bruce nee Tingle, wife of Albert. She along with her widowed Mother aged 59 and another sister Lilley and brother Frederick had travelled to Philadelphia USA in 1895 according to Passenger list. They are shown on the 1901 census for Hamilton, Ontario. Florence married Horace Swain but I have not found a marriage for them .He emigrated in 1903 according to Passenger list. I have an entry on a passenger list for Florence to Philadelphia 1905 and then again in 1911 where it would appear Florence travels with her four children back to Canada I would think after a visit (as shown on my 1911 British census).Now wondered Elaine if you could perhaps help me fill in some gaps ie a marriage for Florence Tingle to Horace Swain. Also if Maria died in Canada and if there is a record of that. I do know that Elsie married Robert Bruce Stuart in 1926 and died very young in 1937 and I have a copy of her death cert and a photo of her grave. Hope you can give me a few pointers Elaine with regard to the Canadian records. I am quite proud of my Great Great Grandmother venturing such a long way from the relative obscurity of Bradfield and Crooks.

Re: Tingles in Canada

Hi Margaret,

I dont have the World access for Ancestry just the UK.

A couple of questions I can answer are that Canadian BMD's are not dealt with the same way as in England. Here each Province looks after their own.

As Hamilton Ontario you already know as one of their home addresses I would start with that City. Hamilton by the way was a very large Steel City for many years. That would be a draw for anyone involved with the steel industry in Sheffield.

Maybe others that are more familiar with researching in Canada can offer suggestion.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS check under our site map for Canadian sites.

Instant Messenger: Skype

TRy these sites.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ontario_Online_Genealogy_Records

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine for your prompt reply. Have found this site very interesting. I hadn't a World sub to Ancestry but have risked a free trial and have been glued to my computer all day finding out allsorts of interesting facts about these Tingles. Must remember to cancel it before the renewal date. Think someone on Ancestry has posted a story about them as they were quite pioneering. Frederick was into small time farming. Will keep you posted. Many Thanks again.

Hello Margaret,
Now you are researching on the Family Search website, you should find that Florence Tingle married Horace Swain (B:27/Jan/1877 in Sheffield) on the 4th Aug/1904 in Hamilton, Ontario. Horace was 28 yrs. and Florence 32.
When Florence and her mother, Maria and her sister Lily emigrated in 1895 on board the ship "Ohio' they were bound for Philadelphia but there final destination was Hagersville, Ontario to join her sons Frederick and George who were already living in a smaller town named Springfield, nr. Hagersville.
Maria died 14/Apr/1904 at 48 Locke Street, Hamilton, Ontario age 69. Frederick married around 1904/5 to Ann Elizabeth Sacks, they left Ontario and moved first to Strathcona District of Alberta, then to Red Deer Alberta.
In 1911 Florence and her children(4 daughters) are living with or visiting Frederick but there is no wife for Frederick recorded just two sons. Florence's husband, Horace, in 1910 was a returning Canadian bound for Quebec, which may explain why he was not in Alberta.
On the 1916 census the family, Horace, Florence and 4 daughters, are in Edmonton Alberta.
Horace became a sargent in the 51st Battalion of the Can.Forces around 1914 (WWI).
In July, 1919 Horace was part of a dispersal draft on board "Olympic" from Halifax Nova Scotia and headed home to Alberta. Horace died 24th.July/1919 in Edmonton.

All the above and more can be found on Family Search and the Canadian census(automated) for 1901 etc

HAPPY HUNTING
Wendy in Guelph

Thank you Wendy for you interesting info. Well I cannot believe since I posted this thread ,through a free trial on Ancestry(must remember to cancel in good time)I have managed to find out such a lot about this part of my family. I posted a request to someone on the Family Trees section and got an instant reply from a distant relative. Along with loads of info and best of all the most fantastic photos .One is of a Homestead out in Alberta which was worked by Fred Tingle one of the children. All the patent papers to go with it. The picture is of the log cabin they lived in out on the prairie near to Red Deer in Alberta. There are also pictures of the family. My contact is a distant cousin and she is just as excited to make contact as she would like to know about the early life in Sheffield, Crooks and Bradfield of these family members. I am just amazed that I knew nothing about any family over there .Just goes to show how you never know what you will find in this interesting hobby!!!