Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fawcett Street Men’s Guild and Workers Charter Movement, Crookesmoor candidate

I have recently found a newspaper article indicating that my grandfather, Hugh Dronfield, ran as a candidate in the Crooksmoor area for the Workers Charter Movement. He was also president of Fawcett Street Men’s Guild. Can anyone tell me what the latter means . Is it purely a men’s club in Fawcett Street and can I find out anything about it. He was also involved with Sheffield Council of Action.

As I know very little about my grandfather I would appreciate any help you can give me in understanding who Hugh was.

I do have his censuses, medal card and photo of him from Picture Sheffield.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Betty

Re: Fawcett Street Men’s Guild and Workers Charter Movement, Crookesmoor candidate

Hi Betty

I can't answer your question I'm afraid but wondered if this is your grandfather. Just thought it may be something you would like to see, if you haven't already.

http://ceegee-viewfromahill.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/pte-hugh-dronfield-1st-grenadier-guards.html

Carol

Re: Fawcett Street Men’s Guild and Workers Charter Movement, Crookesmoor candidate

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I had seen this entry, thanks. It is one of the few things that I have been able to find on him. It was on that site that I saw my first photo of him.

Thanks for your time.
Betty