Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Residency

Please can someone tell me what “residing OTC” means

Re: Residency

Hi Angela,

I presume you are talking about Bradfield Records....

"OTC" means "Of this Chapelry."

Bradfield was a Chapelry of Ecclesfield for many many years. It became a Parish in its own right in 1868.

Which family are you tracing from Bradfield? Doesn't hurt to advertise. LOL.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Still on with my Hallams, keep hoping if I leave it 6 months something new might turn up. Was looking at the marriage for Samuel Hallam and Hannah Hadfield. If it says of this chapelry does that mean they both actually lived in Bradfield as shortly after the wedding they were in Sheffield.

Hi Angela,

I presume this is the marriage that you are interested in.

Hallam, Samuel (~, age ~, ~, residing at OTC).
Married Hannah Hadfield, on February 18, 1810, by Thomas Newton (Banns) at
St Nicholas, Bradfield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of William Stork & Eliza Wasburton.

Malcolm and I have completed all the marriages that we could read. Some of the pages were in a very poor condition when they were filmed.

Back then I suppose it was the same rules that are in effect today. I believe it was a six week residency was required. However folks would use the address of a relative if they wanted to be married in a specific church. We are currently transcribing the baptisms and there are oodles of Hallams around. Hadfield only a few.
Dont forget the Parish was huge........I believe I read somewhere it was the largest Parish in England or was it Yorkshire. LOL.

Is this Samuel's baptism.

Hallam, Samuel (of Stanington, born ~).
Baptised March 13, 1777, by John Webster at St Nicholas, Bradfield.
Parents name(s) are ~ & Geo: (~).

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Certainly after 1810 there is no connection with the Stannington Hallams and I think the Samuel from Stannington isn’t mine as mine died in 1818.