Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Grandfather Robert Armstrong

My Gt Grandfather always told his grandson my dad that he was born in Sheffield in 1856 and on some census returns he has put wadsley as the parish of his birth his fathers name was Joseph and his mothers name was Frances or Fanny Armstrong.He was in the army and may have been at Hillsborough barracks at about this time he was definitely a soldier and was in India because his second son William Henry Armstrong was born in India in. 1861 I have hit a brick wall because I can not trace the birth of Robert Armstrong in or near Sheffield any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Great Grandfather Robert Armstrong

Hi Rodney,

A bit of a puzzle as you have indicated.

The 1911 census states he is a police pensioner aged 54. They are in Portsmouth.
He gives his place of birth as Wadsley, Sheffield. Could it be Wadsley Bridge which may have Wortley as a registration district. Ecclesfield Parish could have been where he was baptised.

Thinking outside the box. If his father was in the ARMY I wonder if his registration could be with them and not showing in the GRO register?

Fingers crossed we can help.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Rodney,

I'm afraid I have not found a baptism for Robert. Perhaps he was born just prior
to his father's army unit leaving Sheffield and it was never done.

Joseph Armstrong aged 35yrs, died 9 July 1869, buried 10 July 1869, Bangalore
St. John, Madras, India. Gunner D. Battery 23rd Brigade, R.A.
Cause: Diarrhea(sic).

Robert Armstrong aged 25, son of Joseph and Frances Stoneman aged 27, dau of
William, married 28 Aug 1880, St. Andrew, Clifton, Bristol.

In 1871, Frances Armstrong 43, and her children Robert 14 and Henry 10 are with
her mother Sarah Stoneman at Sidwell St, Exeter, Devon.
Frances is now a widow.

I can't find a marriage between a Frances Stoneman and Joseph Armstrong!!

Must admit, I got quite confused with the Stoneman's.

Moira.

Rodney, this might be wrong, but I found this on Family Search.

Robert William Armstrong, born 27 April 1854, bap 6 May 1854, Fort William,
Bengal, India. Parents - Joseph and Frances.

Moira.

Great Grandfather Robert Armstrong

moira hi thanks for your info regards Robert and Joseph armstrong I too found this birth of Robert William my gt grandfather being born in India in 1854 fortunately my father the grandson of Robert is still alive and well aged 98 he does not ever recall Robert being called Robert William or his grandad saying he was born in India although his younger brother William Henry definitely was as an old family paper states this and his birth date matches the records.This paper was written in 1909 and again refers to Robert as just that and says he was born in Sheffield. William Henry Armstrong lived at Hillsborough Sheffield and worked as a asylum attendant prior to emigrating to South Africa.I have recently sent for a marriage for a Fanny Stoneman in 1847 in Exeter she was not the fanny Stoneman married 1850 in Exeter Robert and Fanny or Frances were infact cousins.I at a loss to understand why William Henry Armstrong lived in Sheffield when he grew up after spending his youth in India.There must be some connection anyway will keep searching and thanks for your help what a good site this is best wishes rodney Armstrong.

thanks Elaine for your help have also received info from another member of your site which I am following up I am fortunate that my father Andre Albert Armstrong is still with us aged 98 so is a bit of a help but his memory is not so good and he always said that his grandparents never spoke about their families and the past I'm sure I will get there in the end especially with such good sites as yours to help best wishes Rodney

Just a couple of ideas but might be totally wrong. Could his birth not be registered as it was not compulsary until 1875 and of course you had to pay ro register a birth.

Could Robert be not his first name but was how he wanted to be known or

Could Robert not have been born Armstrong but assumed the name when his parents married.

Again could be toyally wrong and if so sorry for sending yo on a wild goose chase.

John

Hi,

I don’t know if this will help but there is a marriage between Joseph Armstrong and Frances Everett in Meerut Bengal 27 June 1849. Joseph fathers name is Edward, he is 21 and single. Frances is 22 and a widow, her fathers name is James Hone.

On 15th March 1856 there is a baptism for Robert Armstrong born 24th Feb 1856, this took place in Meerut and it was a catholic baptism.

I found this on findmypast.

Regards

Lindsey

hi John thanks for your interest and help all that you have said could be possible but I think most unlikely his father was named as armstrong on his marriage certificate and there is no logical reason for him not to assume his correct name my father who is still alive remembers him saying he was born in Sheffield where he was born we do not know but his father Joseph and mother were in India in 1861 where his younger brother was born family records do confirm this. Sheffield is somehow a common factor as this is where Robert says all through his life is where he was born also his younger brother William Henry armstrong lived in Sheffield their mothers family home was Exeter so why were the boys connected with Sheffield ? did the armstrong grandparents live in Sheffield ? and thats where the boys lived whilst their parents were in India ? Alas the search goes on

hi Lindsey thanks so much for your help so far my search has found no record of Frances or fanny being married to a mr Armstrong in her home town of Exeter so did she marry a Mr Everette who later died her family name was definitely Stoneman strangely similar to Hone and her father was called James she was born in 1826 which was close to being aged 22 in 1849 what I need to do now is find a marriage between Francis stoneman and a Mr Everette in Exeter prior to 1849 this could be a good lead they were in India in bengal in 1861 because their second son William Henry Armstrong was born there by 1871 Joseph Armstrong had died probably in India. I shall resume my search so thanks for your help