Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Hudson & Elizabeth Wood

John Hudson of Cliffe House Oughtibridge married Elizabeth Wood 31 Oct 1792. I have John's birth & death dates, but trying to establish Elizabeth's dates?

Re: John Hudson & Elizabeth Wood

Hi David,

I am presuming that you know where John Died and was buried.

Have you looked at Bradfield?

Hudson, John (bat, age ~, , residing at OTC).
Married Elizabeth Wood, on October 31, 1792, by Wm Pashley (Banns) at
St Nicholas, Bradfield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of Robert Hawk & Jerh Morton.

We have not quite reached 1792 for baptisms at Bradfield and children of John & Elizabeth might give us an idea of where they were living. Oughtibridge did come under Bradfield at that time. When was the last child born to John & Elizabeth?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

John Hudson was buried 7 Nov 1824 aged 64. I do have a copy of his will signed 16 July 1822 and it proves Elizabeth was alive at that time. I do have Bradfield burial records and there does not seem to be an Elizabeth that would fit the age group. Although there is one who died 1865 aged 55 (born 1810) with address shown as Bradfield Cliff House but I don't think its her?

There last child as far as I'm aware was Benjamin born 1810

Regards
David

Hi David,
This couple are in my tree too, Joseph Hudson (their son) had a son called Err Hudson who married Sarah Thornton (my tree). The Elizabeth Hudson dying in 1865 at Cliffe House, I think may be Joseph Hudson's wife (nee Elizabeth Wild). They were living at Cliffe House in 1861.

I found a baptism for John Hudson which seems to fit his birth date, baptised on 4th Jan 1760 at St Nicholas, his father's name given as Joseph Hudson, of what looks like Hob Lane and given that his first born was called Joseph, this could be correct (thinking that his actual date of birth was probably December 1759). There is a Joseph Hudson buried at St Nicholas on 28th Jan 1814 of Hob Lane, aged 93 years, there is also a Charles Hudson aged 54 years buried on 4th Aug 1856 from Hob Lane. Going back to my Sarah Thornton marrying Err Hudson, his sister Phancy Hudson died November 1895 at Hob Lane. Phancy's father-in-law was Charles Hudson of Hob Lane who died 1856.

Wondering if Elizabeth wasn't born in the Bradfield area but also wonder if she was always known as Betty, her signature on the marriage record looks at bit like Betty Wood. Still haven't been able find anything for her though.

Regards WendyW

Hi Wendy

I have the same in my tree and agree with you.

Regards
David

Hi David.

The following MI should rule out the Elizabeth who died in 1865.
E471
In remembrance of ELIZABETH wife of JOSEPH HUDSON of Cliffe House who died
August 30th 1865 aged 55 years. Also the above named JOSEPH HUDSON who died
July 16th 1867 aged 74 years. Also of RUTH WRAGG who died April 1st 1915 aged
57 years.

Angela

Hi Angela

Thanks for info. Ruth Wragg is shown as a servant to Joseph's son Hector on the 1901/1911 census at Cliffe House. I assume she links into the family somehow?

Hi David et al,
There is a baptism for an Elizabeth Wood on this website which took place at St.Nicholas, Bradfield, on 29th Oct/1775 father's name: John. Could this be a match??

There is also a death registration on Free BMD for Elizabeth Hudson D:1850 Wortley (reg district). Could this be a match....??....??

As previously mentioned: John and Elizabeth's marriage at St.Nicholas, Bradfield is also on this site.

HAPPY HUNTING

Hi Wendy

Thanks for that

I note there is another Elizabeth Wood baptised 11 January 1767 at Hill Top which may link better with John Hudson 1760. Correct me if I'm wrong but was Cliffe House on the Hill Top road?

Regards
David

Hi Dave,
Just a thought, the Elizabeth Wood you mention, B:1767 would have been 43 years old at the time of her son Benjamin's birth, in 1810, not an impossibility, though not so likely.
Elizabeth baptized: Oct,1775 (assuming her birth was close to this year), would have been 35 years old at Benjamin's birth.

As for Cliffe House actually being located on Hill Top Road, I cannot say, Google maps show Hill Top Road being very close to the Cliffe Hill area, which could have been where Cliffe House was located.
Cliffe House Farm still comes up on MSN Bing and probably on Google too.

Cheers, Wendy in Guelph

Is this the correct Cliffe House - top left area of the map

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345217#

Vicki

Hi Wendy

That's a very good point.

Hi Vicki

Yes I think so.