Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burials

Hope you can help I am looking for the grave's of several of my ancestors:-

Wilfred Hamlin Paul Rodgers died March 1947 Ecclesall Bierlow Sheffield
Francis Rodgers (wife) December 1925 Ecclesall Bierlow Sheffield

Pauline Peatfield Rodgers died October 1881 Sheffield her husband died in Belfast

The whole Rodgers family have lived in Stocksbridge Sheffield through the 19th century up until recently.

I have checked through your Burial Records but nothing shows up.

Re: Burials

Hi Marlene,

Pauline Peatfield Rodgers age 63yrs of Summer Street, buried 27 December 1881.
St. Philip, Sheffield.

Marlene, re the death registration of Francis Rodgers in Dec 1925, it is for
a man and it is on this site. The death reg and the burial both give the age as 43.
The female spelling usually has an 'e', Frances.

Can not find a burial for Wilfred, but, if we can find Frances he may be in
the same grave.

Moira.

Pauline Peatfield Rodgers buried 27 Dec 1881 aged 63 lived at Summer Street and buried at Shalesmoor St Philips. Now to tey and find the others. John

Wilfred H P Rodgers born 24 Oct 1882 (is this your man) living at 288 Oaks Avenue Stcoksbridge in 1939 and Frances Rodgers was still with him (born 25 Feb 1885) also a Ruby Rodgers born 10 May 1924.

Info from the 1939 Register on FMP

Marlene,

Found this on the 1939 register, so we know that Frances was still alive then.
288 Oaks Avenue, Stocksbridge.
Wilfred H.P. Rodgers, D.O.B. 24 Oct 1882, Ingot checker steel works, married.
Frances Rodgers, D.O.B. 25 Feb 1885, domestic duties, married.
Ruby Rodgers, D.O.B. 10 May 1924, maid steel works, single.
one record closed.

I don't know if it's of any interest, but on the same page at number 278 there
is Harold, Winifred? and Patricia J. Rodgers and at number 274 Frank, Violet
and Cybil Rodgers.

Moira.

Marlene....this looks promising.

Death Reg. Sep Q 1953, Frances Rodgers aged 68rs, Wortley 2d 577.

Moira.

Yes all the above is correct at 278, Oakes Avvenue was where my Aunt and Uncle lived and I knew the rest of the Rodgers family lived nearby remember visiting them when I was a young girl.
Would it be possible for someone to see if there is a head stone for any of the graves and take a photo either from Shalesmoor, or Wortley

Thank you once again you always manage to sort queries out.

Marlene, on the menu to the left click on MIs and click the link to George Proctor of Wardsend Cemetery as that is where I think some of the graves were taken to make way for the tram. Someone will correct me if I am wrong though.

Marlene, your message to George Proctor has come to me, so I am completing the circle :slightly_smiling_face:

The old churchyard was closed in 1857 so is not really relevant to any of these people. In any case, when the cemetery was cleared for Supertram all the human remains discovered were re-interred in Abbey Lane Cemetery. The gravestones were discarded apart from a few considered to be of interest - some of those were placed in the boundary wall of the Barracks and two were put in Hillsborough Park. It is possible that one or two gravestones were brought to Wardsend in 1857 to continue in use on a new family grave, but I think it is unlikely.

Turning to the names you are searching for, these are the burials recorded for Grave O 41:

Grave O 41
ALDIS Ralph William 9 Nov 1901 49 Rudyard Rd 18m so Frederick M
ALDIS Edith Winifred 18 Nov 1901 49 Rudyard Rd 3m da Frederick
RICHARDSON William 30 Mar 1870 Green Lane 62y
RODGERS Pauline Peatfield 27 Dec 1881 Summer St 63y

The burials have not been transcribed after April 1905 so there could be further burials in this grave after that date. However, it is now possible to search these records by name at FMP and there is no sign of Wilfred or Frances in this cemetery.

This grave does not have a gravestone and I think it is a public grave.

I cannot find the other two people in any records I have access to.

Hugh