Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial

Sarah Salt b 1834 Sheffield, married Robert Cockayne 1856 Sheffield, married Patrick Doran 1882 Sheffield. Sarah died 1906 Doncaster where is she buried?

Re: Burial

HI,

Have you tried Doncaster Family History Society?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

One record from National Burial Index reads buried in 1905 Nov 11 in Millom Cumberand, St Georges Anglican, age 73. No other records.

Regards.

Terry

Hi Elaine I am a member of Doncaster fhs and have spent a long time in their records room with fellow members trying to solve this matter but we haven't been able to find any trace of Sarah's burial. Regards Ena

Do you know where both her husbands died and are buried? She could be with one of them and of course are you sure you have the correct Sarah's death year and place? John

Hello Ena,
My Heritage site has Sarah Salt, born to William J Salt in 1834 ( William J born 1801) Sheffield

Sarah Marrried Robert Cockayne,
Children mentioned: Arthur Thomas
1861 census 2x children, William?
1871 census 4x children John plus 3 others.

This document has Sarah dying 1901 aged 66
Is this your Sarah?

I'm not a member of My Heritage, so, I can't read the documents, ( place of death )perhaps someone else can help you with that.

Judy

Hi Ena,
Have you tried looking in Bramley, nr. Leeds. Free BMD have two deaths for 'Doran' registered in 1906.
a) Sarah Frances Doran D:Mar.Q/1906 Bramley age 70
b) Sarah Doran D:Jun.Q/1906 Doncaster age 70

This could be the same person and whoever registered the death realised later, the first name mix up.
By 1911(if not before)-Patrick Doran was living with his step-daughter, Sarah Frances Wood(nee Cockayne) at Denaby, Barnbrough, Doncaster. There is a death for Patrick in 1924 at Doncaster age 82.

If Patrick and Sarah were Catholics and since they lived at Doncaster Road, Denaby, have you tried contacting the priest at St.Alban's Church, Denaby Main, he may be able to shed some light on burials back in the early 1900's.
Happy Hunting

Hi John ...
Robert Cockayne died 1877 in Sheffield I have been unable to find his burial place, Patrick Doran died 1924 in Doncaster, once again I do not know where he is buried. 1891 and 1901 have Sarah and Patrick living at Doncaster Rd, Denaby. 1911 Census has Patrick living with Sarah's daughter Sarah Wood. I am sure this Sarah is my great grandmother and the date and place of death are correct. Regards Ena

Hi Judy This is my Sarah, Arthur Thomas is my grandfather. I feel my Sarah died in 1906 and I have ordered a copy of the 1906 certificate, hopefully this will confirm I am correct. Thanks for your input. Regards Ena

Hi Wendy yes Patrick was Irish and Patrick and Sarah were married in Sheffield at the Roman Catholic Cathedral. I will try and make further enquiries regarding Catholic burials. Thanks for you help. Ena

There is a burial for a Robert Cockayne on 24 Apr 1877 at Attercliffe Christ Church. It does not give an age though but could this be your man

Hi Ena,

I think Wendy's suggestion should be looked into as that is where Patrick was in 1911.

Just to clarify what records we have....... St Michaels RC Cemetery at Rivelin 1882-2010.

Many of the municipal cemeteries had an RC section i.e. as in City Road but he's not turning up there either.

I presume this is your chap.From FreeBMD.
Deaths Sep 1924
Doran Patrick 82 Doncaster 9c 648

I used the info from the 1911 census where he was aged 70. Giving his year of birth as 1842.

Denby does come under the Wortley Registration District
Did one of his children live in Doncaster and he died there?

As you have stated you have spent hours in Doncaster researching a burial there for him
so you can probably rule that out. One would have expected that he would have been with Sarah. The death cert will not show where he is buried but who registered his death would be of interest.

Thats my 2 cents worth. Gets all of us thinking.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi John I am sure that this is the burial for my great grandfather that I have been looking for. Where did you find these details? Thank you for this information I am most grateful. Regards Ena