Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James FOLKARD

James FOLKARD, a steeplejack, fell from a high chimney and was killed in September 1886. The GRO and the Wardsend burial register say he was 38.

His wife was named as Annie at the inquest. Folkard had worked for the same contractor in Sheffield for 15 years.

A son Joseph who was born in the same quarter as his father's death was later buried in the same grave. I believe that he was one of the following four sons from the Birth index:

FOLKARD, JAMES WILLIAM mmn MOORHOUSE
GRO Reference: 1882 M Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW
FOLKARD, THOMAS mmn MOORHOUSE
GRO Reference: 1883 S Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW
FOLKARD, ROBERT mmn MOORHOUSE
GRO Reference: 1884 D Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW
FOLKARD, JOSEPH mmn MOORHOUSE
GRO Reference: 1886 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD

I found a baptism for James William at St Silas' which gives his mother's name as Mary Ann.

There must be lots of variants of this name. It seems to to have its origins in East Anglia.

The problem: I cannot find a marriage or identify this family in any census.

I would particularly like to know whether Mary Ann/Annie stayed in Sheffield and whether she re-married. Also what happened to the surviving children.

Can anyone save my sanity? :upside_down_face:

Hugh

Re: James FOLKARD

Hi Hugh, There are two boys James William Folkard born 1882 and Thomas Folkard born 1885 in the 1891 census in a boys home in Salford. Burial records for Sheffield show Joseph Folkard son of Annie 8 months buried 21 July 1887. regards Barry

Thanks Barry! The census actually says 'FOLTSARD' for the boys in Salford and that is what Ancestry has transcribed - so I might have never found them without your help.

Since they are in Lancashire this death entry may be relevant...

Deaths SEP Qtr 1888
Folkard Mary Ann 31
Chorlton 8c 427

Hugh

James William and Thomas left Liverpool for Portland Oregon in April 1895. The ship appears to have had many unaccompanied children so it looks like a contingent of orphans heading for the pacific coast.

Hugh