Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Whitton - Leather Manufacturer!!

Looking for info on the Grandfather of my Great Uncle.
His family name was Whitton, born in Retford but lived in Sheffield. He was listed in the 1851 Census as residing in South St and his occupation was Boot & Shoe Mfr. In the 1861; 1871 & 1881 Census he's still at the same address but is now a Solid Leather Sheath Mfr/Sword & Dagger Sheath Mfr. I don't have a date of death but on the 1891 Census his son George is now shown as a Sheath Mfr and residing at South St.
Was South St a factory or there actual home? Cottage industry comes to mind. Do the Whittons appear in any Sheffield Trade Directory?

Re: George Whitton - Leather Manufacturer!!

Directories to the left
<<<<<<<

Thank you Pete

There were two South Streets, South St Moor and South St Park, the latter being the one in question.

George Whitton was killed on the railway near Dogdyke Station in Lincolnshire on 27 Aug 1883. He and his son George had both taken part in an angling match along with many others from Sheffield. George senior was walking by the tracks towards the station to board the train that would take them home. He stumbled and lurched too close to the rails and was struck by the train.

Hugh

The burials of George WHITTON 1883, George WHITTON jnr 1893 and Harriet WHITTON 1889 are all on this site under burials.

Angela

Thanks to everyone that has taken the trouble to research Georgetown Whitton for me. It’s very much appreciated and certainly helps me to fill in a few blanks.
I now have some idea how the website works but would ask one final question..........does the site cover Killamarsh?