Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A few brick walls

:sleuth_or_spy: :sleuth_or_spy: :sleuth_or_spy: A few brick walls:
Edward Parkin B:1816/Oct/26/Sheffield (SI site)parents Martha & Joseph.
Edward married 1833/Sep/16/Sheffield Parish Ch.to Frances Howson B:abt 1816 Yks.?
Child: Ann Howson Parkin B:1834/Jun/27 Sheffield (SI Site) Parents Edward & Frances.

I think Edward died somewhere between 1833-1837 because Frances RM: as a widow, in 1837/Jan/19 at the now Sheffield Cathedral,to George Bocking (my ancestor)B:1815/Dec/18/Sheffield.

I would love to find out when Edward Parkin died?
and what happened to the daughter, Ann Howson Parkin?
She does not show up in the Bocking marriage (there was a Marey or Mary Ann, but she was born 1837.)
So, did Ann Howson Parkin die in infancy or did she live on, possibly with grandparents etc., and later marry...??

Any willing sleuths out there..? All my efforts have failed so far.

Cheers, Wendy in Guelph

Re: A few brick walls

There is a burial for an Edward Parkin on 14 Sep 1834 aged 22 and living on The Wicker. He was buried at Attercliife Christ Church.

I know the age is slightly out but he could have been 4 when he was baptised.

Could this be your man?

John

Hi Wendy,

Ann Parkin, infant, of Attercliffe, bur 20 Aug 1834 at Attercliffe.

Moira.

Hi Moira and John,

Many thanks for your all your sleuthing efforts. They could be possible matches, however, I may be banging my head against more brick walls here, but...??

RE: Edward Parkin, according to this site (SI), Edward was actually born 26th Oct/1816 in Sheffield and was baptized 25 Jan/1817 at Sheffield Parish Church, parents Martha and Joseph(Scissor Smith). By trade, Edward was a Roller, according to the SI reg. for his daughter, Ann.
QUESTION: John, did the death you found have an occupation listed?

RE: Ann Howson Parkin, the death of plain old Ann Parkin could very well be a match, I just find it a little odd that, distinctive middle names given at birth, would not be used at death...? Alternatively, Frances Parkin (mother of Ann), faced with two proposed deaths, so close to each other (only one month apart)would have been in a state of deep sorrow and turmoil and could have omitted the middle name and also made a guess at Edward's age, who in 1834, would have been 18 not 22.

Thanks again, both your conclusions are highly feasible.
Cheers, Wendy:sleuth_or_spy:

No Occupation listed I am afraid. John

Hi Wendy

As an aside, the burial register entry for Edward Parkin age 22 also appears to say
'killed by a crush'

I wonder if any newspaper articles exist which may give more information to help you eliminate this man from your enquiries

Also the spelling of the infant on the register is Anne not Ann.

Vicki

Many thanks for the clarification John.

Thank you Vicki,
Considering Edward was a Roller, death by crushing(yuk) suggests a good match. Thanks also for the Ann/Anne input.
Cheers
Wendy

Hi, there is a newspaper report of the inquest. It says that Edward Parkin aged 22 worked at the Sheaf Works and was employed in the rolling of the steel. Some repairs were going on and a large iron plate weighing 13 to 16 cwt was being supported by a temporary prop. He was standing under it when the prop gave way and he was crushed. Two others were severely injured.

Heths

Heather, did you find that article in the newspapers via FMP if so I need to go to an opticians. John

Well done Heather, I can see you have made John quite envious or, you have just made his day..??

Many thanks everyone.

Cheers Wendy:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi, it was on FMP but John doesn't have to go to Specsavers. I couldn't find it myself at first. When I searched for Edward Parkin it brought up nothing at all, but when I used Inquest as the surname and put crush in the keywords field, up it popped.

Heths

Thanks Heather.

Hi Wendy, regarding the age discrepancy, there is an alternative baptism 1/8/1813 Handsworth which might be worth checking out. Parents John (a labourer) and Ann.

Thanks Heather,

Will check it out. The date is a good fit for a death at age 22. Also, possible alternative parents, John(labourer)and Ann Parkin has two things going for it:
1) Parents first (or last) names are very often passed on to children and subsequent generations and Ann may very well have been the inspiration for Edward Parkin and Frances (nee Howson) to name their daughter Ann Howson Parkin.

2) John being a labourer, makes sense for Edward being a roller, whereas Martha & Joseph (original choice of parents) the father's trade was a scissor-smith and he would probably have encouraged Edward to follow suit.

The plot thickens....!!:sleuth_or_spy: :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

There’s an Edward Parkin, scissorsmith, age 34 and born Sheffield, in the 1851 census. Living at Hicks Lane with wife Mary.

Also a notice in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 7 August 1860 announcing the death of Mr Joseph Parkin, scissorsmith, father of Mr Edward Parkin scissor manufacturer of Spring Street.

Heths

Thank you Heather,
The family unit you have found, is definitely a fit for the Edward I originally thought was my Edward Parkin (ie B:1816 parents, Martha & Joseph Parkin(Scissor Smith), which, with this latest added knowledge, I can now eliminate.

My money is now on the Edward Parkin B:abt.1812 bapt:1813 D:1834.(age 22yrs) with parents Ann & John Parkin (labourer).

The name Parkin is almost as difficult as Smith/Jones or Brown etc., as far as genealogical research goes.

Many thanks to everyone.
Cheers, Wendy :sleuth_or_spy: