Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An error in the Sheffield burial index Name of Frederick Watson Chatterton in 1950

Checking with relatives the middle name of this person has been transcribed incorrectly. It was his daughters who live in Sheffield that gave me the information

The middle name of Coatson is wrong it should have been WATSON

CHATTERTON, Fred Coatson (Labourer, age 60).
Died at 2 Herries Road; Buried on June 15, 1950 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 3194, Section F of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

CHATTERTON, Ada (Widow, age 72). Died at 299 Eastern Avenue; Buried on July 5, 1965 in Unconsecrated ground; Grave Number 3194, Section F of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Re: An error in the Sheffield burial index Name of Frederick Watson Chatterton in 1950

FMP have it as Coatson too.

Re: An error in the Sheffield burial index Name of Frederick Watson Chatterton in 1950

Hi
On freebmd.org-
Fred's birth is registered as
Chatterton Fred Watson Dec 1889 Sheffield 9c 480

His death is registered as
Chatterton Fred W 60 Jun 1950 Sheffield 2d 178

Sue

Sue, I know I have the correct Frederick he is in the same grave as his Wife Ada , it was just the middle name which is incorrect
It's just a transcript error by a person taking notes.
The grandchildren have all confirmed the middle name is Watson.
Thanks Barry

Hi Barry/JohnS/Sue,

With FindMyPast having the same information as we do I would suggest that the actual register at City Road has the incorrect information which is what we would have transcribed.

I am sure when Vicki has a few minute to check our work out she will let you know.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

I have checked the original page and the writing could be read as either, so
I have amended to Watson

Vicki