Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phillip Harvey

I am seeking any available information on Phillip Harvey, second son of Charles and Mary Anne Harvey, born about 1836 and supposedly baptized at Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield England. Also seeking any available information on parents.

Re: Phillip Harvey

Hi

Where did this information come from? There is no baptism at SS Peter & Paul (not a cathedral until 1914) for a Phillip Harvey.

There are also no baptisms for children of Charles and Mary Anne.

Angela

Angela, I'm working from an Ancestry.com family tree done here in the U.S., by a woman whose work was thorough and verifiable thru U.S. census data, marriage and death certificates, etc. I have seen documents that confirm the accuracy of Charles and Mary Anne (Hicks) Harvey, each born in the 1814-1816 time frame, in England. Charles (perhaps Charles William or William Charles?) is my great-great-great grandfather. They had 5-6 children, Phillip among them, and there is the notation that he was baptized in the aforementioned cathedral in Sheffield. My time on the Sheffield Indexers website confirms what you're telling me.... no record of Phillip's baptism and no record of a Charles and Mary Anne Harvey.

I'm fairly new to ancestry research but would love to "push" this limb of the tree back further into its English history. What strategies or resource suggestions might you have for me? Kindest regards for your assistance. Bruce

Hi Bruce,

What I have found on familysearch is that a Charles HARVEY married a Mary Ann HICKS
at East Stonehouse, Devon. 19 July 1834. Charles a bachelor signed his name and Mary Anne made her mark X. The witnesses were William Dager? (Corporal Royal Marines) and John Lamomen. The image for this marriage is available at Familysearch. They had a child Philip baptised in 1837 at Hatherleigh, Devon.
FindMyPast have the image for this baptism and it was on 6 Jan 1837 Philip son of Charles and Mary Ann of Hatherleigh, father's occupation a labourer. So possibly born in 1836.

Other possible children from the 1841 census are John b.1835, Phillip b.1837, Thomas b.1839 and Isaac b,1840.

There may be others after this but I only checked the 1841 census for this family.

Angela

Angela,
You found information very quickly that matches mine. My inability to know where to look is getting in the way. I have to learn how to do better research. You have referenced a web source (FindMyPast) that I had not heard of. I've been on Familysearch a little bit but not been able to find what you so quickly found.

The tree I'm working with lists the following children: John (b. 1834), Phillip (b. 1836), Thomas (b. 1837), Mary (b. 1841), Isaac (b. 1841), William (b. 1847) and Wesley (b. 1848). All were born in England except Wesley (Ohio, US). The census that you referenced.... is it a U.S. census or a British census? How do I next look for Charles' and Mary Anne's parents?

Thank you so much for your continued guidance...
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

It comes with age and experience. LOL

Mary and Isaac were baptised on the same day in 1841. So this appears to be the family you are looking for.

FindMyPast is the alternative genealogy site to Ancestry.

This looks like the 1850 US census for the family this list them all as born in England.
City/township, Chagrin falls
County Cuyahoga
State. Ohio
Chs Harvey Male 34 1816 England
Mary Harvey Female 36 1814 England
John Harvey Male 16 1834 England
Philip Harvey Male 13 1837 England
Thomas Harvey Male 12 1838 England
Isaac Harvey Male 10 1840 England
Mary Harvey Female 9 1841 England
Wm Harvey Male 7 1843 England
Wealthy Harvey Male 2 1848 England (could this be Walter)

1841 English census.
Street, Quarryham.Parish or township Hatherleigh.
County Devon.
This is the 1841 census for the same family.
Charles Harvey Male 30 1811 Devon, England
Mary Harvey Female 30 1811 Devon, England
John Harvey Male 6 1835 Devon, England
Phillip Harvey Male 4 1837 Devon, England
Thomas Harvey Male 2 1839 Devon, England
Isaac Harvey Male 1 1840 Devon, England

The enumerator was instructed to round down all ages for adults over 15 to the nearest 5 or 0 on the 1841 census. It would appear that this one rounded them up.
Angela

Angela,
I have the age but not the experience. I'll sign up for FindMyPast and start poking around a bit. It's exciting that you and I so immediately agreed on the same family and that you've focused me to a tiny village in a specific county.

With your permission, I may email you from time to time with additional questions.
Bruce

P.S. The last of the children was Wesley.... born in Ohio.

Hi Bruce.

I will see if I can find anymore. If you wish to email that is fine.

In the meantime I will have another look around Devon for this family.
Angela

Bruce and Angela.
A search of GRO index for birth registrations For Harvey, mother maiden name Hicks shows Thomas q21838, Isaac q4 1839 and Mary q41841 all reg district Okehampton Devon. The only possible showing for William is Richard William Harvey, mmn Hicks q31843.. Perfect timing but registered in Stoke Damerel (Plymouth).
The names Harvey and Hicks were very common in Devon and there are at least two other Harvey Hicks families having Harvey children in Stoke Damerel in the 1840s. Therefore either there is no UK reg for William or the family was in Plymouth by Q3 1843. The birth cert for Richard William will show both parents full names. If it is wrong then a search by GRO for it would be free of charge.
Dave

It could have made sense for the familt to be in Plymouth by 1843 as it would have been the perfect place to set sail to the United States from. John

Thanks to Angela, I now have baptism records for Phillip Harvey and four siblings. They all referenced occurring in Hatherleigh, Devon Shire, England and being performed by Vicar Samuel Field. I've since found confirmation that he was indeed the vicar of the church in Hatherleigh. That church is named St. John the Baptist Church.

I've also found evidence of year (1834) and location (East Stonehouse) for the marriage of Phillip's mother and father, Charles and Mary Anne (Hicks) Harvey. The timing seems right, as their first child John was born in 1835. The location is plausible. East Stonehouse was one of three communities that merged to form present-day Plymouth. Plymouth and Hatherleigh are 35-40 miles apart, so perhaps close enough for people from the two towns to travel back and forth, and for Charles and Mary Anne to have somehow met.

I continue to struggle with finding any information about the parents and siblings of Charles and Mary Anne, but the challenge is part of the fun. All guidance and suggestions are gladly accepted.

Hi All

Mary Anne HICKS was baptised at Northlew 2 Jan 1814 daughter of Philip and Sarah Hicks of Furze Hill. Occupation a farmer.

Angela

Thanks Angela. Interesting that detailed topo maps of the Hatherleigh area show a Furze Hill Farm just west of town.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that Furze Hill is a fairly common geographic name in England and even in Devon.