Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
william evans

I have the marriage of william evans to maria blake in the 4th quarter 1857 but not the location, would it have been sheffield parish church? hoping some kind person can help me.

Re: william evans

Hi Carol

All Saints Ecclesall 29 Dec 1857

BLAKE, Maria 23, spinster father Benjamin

EVANS, William 26, bachelor father William

Vicki

thankyou Vicki for your prompt reply.i can now order a marriage certificate and see who the witnesses are. many thanks.

Hi Carol,
Just looked on FMP and the register shows the witnesses were William and Sarah Wadsworth if that's any help, save you having to wait for the cert.

WendyW

thankyou wendy for your valuable information re william and maria evans. I don't know the name wadsworth, they could have been friends of the bride and groom. it all helps to build up a picture of my ancestors. many thanks.

A William Wadsworth married Sarah Evans Sheffield q2 1850.
Dave

Thank you Dave, I will look into Sarah Evans, my tree does spread out a lot and I still have a lot to do. if i find sarah i will let you know. thank you for your input.

Carol, are you familiar with the GRO index?
It shows that William And Sarah had 3 children between 1850 and 1856 and no more thereafter. They were named Harriet Ann, Evans and Emily. Sadly each of the three died within 3 months of their births.
Dave

many thanks Dave T I will email you tomorrow

Carol, thanks for your email, i understand that you have Ancestry and this site, nothing else. Can I recommend Free BMD, its search engine is more versatile than Ancestry. GRO is a very valuable source of info which cannot be found elsewhere. However its search engine is very different. It is simple to use when you get used to it, but you have to be prepared to do multiple searches because they restrict you to one gender and a five year span for each search.
Will try to help with your specific Evans questions:

The marriage in 1857 will have on it the occupation of William Evans father. I am sure Vicki or Wendy will tell you whether or not he was a hairdresser. They have access to FMP where the parish marriage register is available. If it is not shown on there then you will need to buy the marrige certificate, where it will be shown. That should confirm you have the right one (or not)

There are no addresses given on GRO.

According to Free BMD your William Evans Age 64 died Dec quarter 1895 in Ecclesall Bierlow.
The baptism in 1826 of Sarah Evans, mother Ann, father William, edge tool maker is on this site over to the left under parish records. That seems to fit your 1850 marriage cert of William Wadsworth to Sarah Evans, whose father was an edge tool hardener.

Hope that all helps.
Dave

Hi Carol,
The occupations of William Evans was a Mercantile clerk and his father's occupation was an Edge Tool Hardener, his name also William Evans. The occupation of Maria's father Benjamin Blake was a Coach Proprietor. William was living Cherry Tree Hill when he married and Maria lived Broomhall Street. Hope this helps.
WendyW

Many thanks Wendy for your input. I have e mailed you.

Hi Carol could I email you. My mother in law was a Hinsley as it is an unusual name I was wondering if you could be related.

Hello Susan, yes email me please

Hinsley

Hello Carol,
My mother in law was Gladys May Hinsley b 1917. her father was Charles Hinsley b.1889. Her mother was Rose Ellen Dale b.1897. Charles's father was Edward Hinsley b.1859 in Birmingham.
Charles came from rather a large family some 8 children all born in Sheffield. His mother was Susanna Sophia Matilda Jeffery born in Nottingham in 1858.Do you have a connection in some way to them? Regards Susan

Re: Hinsley

hello Susan I have sent you an email regarding the hinsley family.

william evans

I now have the correct marriage for William Evans. Thank you for the help the indexers gave and the emails I received with useful suggestions, one of which was the correct couple.Many thanks.