Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Minerva Tavern - Charles St

My great-grandfather Leonard Charles Ward was keeper of the Minerva up to 1907, when it was taken over by a Herbert Bevington. Is there anywhere I can find out what month of the year he could have left the Minerva? I'm trying to find out if my grannie, Leonard's daughter, might have been born there whilst he was still keeper. She was born in Aug 1907.

Re: Minerva Tavern - Charles St

Your grandmothers birth certificate may give the place of birth. I can not find either Leonard or Herbert Bevington living in a public house on any of the census returns.

Thanks Sue

I do know that Leonard Charles Ward was not in the Minerva until about 1905 and obviously left there sometime in 1907, when H Bevington took over. So its just that 2 year period I'm looking at. I guess I need to find when Leonard left there in 1907. Either before or after my grannies birth in that year.

Lynne if you google Sheffield Pubs History you will find a couple of guys who are avid Sheffield pub historians
Dave

Hi Lynne,

Florrie Ward, born 16 Aug 1907, bap 29 Sep 1907 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents: Leonard Charles and Alice Maud Mary of 62 Eldon Street, Publican.

Moira.

Chester Castle
62 Eldon Street

Hi Moira - many thanks for that. Where did you actually find the info please? I did suspect that grannie was born in Sheffield, and that her father was a publican - but none of my family could really confirm - quite a few of us are in Rotherham and the family used to say that they believed grannie was born in Sheffield. Thanks again for your help. Lynne

Thanks for your help Dave.

Vicki - thanks for this. I have searched for info on Chester Castle, Eldon St and see that my great-grandfather was there in 1907 - and my grannie was born there. Can't find much info/photos other than someone took over from him in 1910 I believe.