Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James C H Balmain coming to uk

I was wondering if some kind person with ancestry would be willing to look up the above person who was born in the USA in 1853 to Scottish parents to tell me when the family came back to England. James married in Yorkshire in 1885. Many thanks John

Re: James C H Balmain coming to uk

Hi John, James Charles Halyburton Balmain married Kate Field in the first quarter of 1885 in Huddersfield, Yorkshire. Their son George Halyburton Balmain was Christened on the 2nd. May 1886 in Scisset, Huddersfield. Regards Barry

Hi
The 1881 Scotland census, he is a boarder at 11 Salisbury Place Edinburgh- occupation Photographer.
I can not find James on any passenger lists.
What are his parents names?

Sue

His parents are George (born 1810) and Ann Eleanor nee Halyburton. James was a Captain in the army I think.

Hi John
I don't think George and Ann returned to England.

If you search for a George Balmain b.1810 in the United States records on familysearch.org you will find a possible match for the family.
The 1860 US census shows them living in Congress St New Jersey.
George Balmain is a Stationer and living with the family is a Hannah Halyburton age 82.

If this is the correct family, you can find George in the 1870, 1880 US census and the 1892 New York state census.
Sue

Thank you Sue, if you search for a Captain Balmain coming to UK does that show anything please? John

Hi John
Sorry, I can't find anything with that search.

Sue

Thank you for checking