Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Thomas, Brightside

I've just been looking up the burial records for an ancestor and discovered she was buried at St Thomas, Brightside in Sheffield aged 18. I thought I might drive over and have a look for a grave but then I read that the church is disused and is now a circus training centre! Does that mean that all the graves have gone? How do I find out exactly where she is and does anyone have an address for this church please.
Thanks in advance.

Kerry.

Re: St Thomas, Brightside

Holywell Road
Greentop Circus

Hi Kerry,

St Thomas Upwell St, Brightside.

Was declared redundant in 1979.

Burials occurred there from 1854-1901.
Sheffield Archives have a plan of the Churchyard.
MI's at the Archives.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Kerry

Please contact me off list with your relatives full name and date of death please

Vicki

Hello Kerry

St Thomas continued burials well after the cut off time of 1901 in the SDFHS index, the headstones are still in situ although many are covered with vegetation

Would your relative be Mary Ellen WOOD ? if so I have a photograph, of the headstone I can send you.

Seasons greetings to all

Tony :snowman:

Hi, my relative was called Mary Mercer, she was buried on 28 June 1866 aged 18.

Thank you

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

RE.
MERCER, Mary (, died on ?, at the age of 18).
Resided at Carlisle St East and buried on 28 Jun 1866 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Thomas Cemetery, Brightside.

Just a thought......

Most if not all the Anglican Churchyard Burials do NOT have plot number etc.
Might I suggest for Mary the MI's might be your best bet which as I mentioned before are held at Sheffield Archives. Thats where all relevant material will have been deposited.
Remains may still be at Upwell St and just the stones removed.If you find out for sure where they are can you let me know so I can add it to my book please.

Cathedral remains were removed and moved to Abbey Lane Cemetery. I remember back in the early sixties remains were also removed at that time but I dont remember where they were re interred.

Elaine in Ottawa:santa: only 3 more sleeps.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Kerry

Unfortunately I can't see any MERCER headstones amongst my St Thomas Brightside collection. The recorded MI's don't list any either so it is possible that there wasn't a headstone at any point.

It was worth a try

Tony

Thank you everyone, might have a trip to the archives and see what I can find.
Have a good Christmas 🎅

Hello Kerry.

The grave plot is Class (column) L number 9, she appears to be in there with another Mercer and L A Swift, but i don't have Mercer or L A Swift gravestone pics.I am sending you a pic of the graveyard plan to which the entry applies, but i can't orient the plan to the churchyard itself.

Seasons greetings.

Terry

P s i don't have Microsoft Outlook so i can't send the plan.

Thank you Terry, that's fantastic. Have a good Christmas 🎅