Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hutcliffe Wood Garden of Rest Sheffield

Evening all

I have been asked to find the position of 2 memorial plaques in this garden. There is an office on site, what records do they hold. No reply to this post tonight and I am on the phone on the morning.

Re: Hutcliffe Wood Garden of Rest Sheffield

Hi Rodger,

You would be better contacting City Road Cemetery as they administer Hutcliffe Wood.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

I am informed that plaques over 25 years old are removed, a situation which is of no use to me looking at deaths back in the 60's and early 80's

Hi Roger,

The only information I have is that Hutcliffe Wood Crematoriums Original Registers have been deposited with Sheffield Archives.
Dates cover 1974to 1996.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

I think this is going to be ' dead horse' enquiry for me.

Hi Roger,

Not quite sure what it is that you are looking for?

I am presuming that Hitcliffe Wood didn't open until 1974 so the 60's cremations would not have taken place there.

The Archives do have an index of names. So its back to them I would say.

If you are looking to see if other names would have been recorded on the plaques I dont know if they would have recorded such as that. You have to ask them.

If you are looking for where some of your rellies could be buried give us names and dates and see if some of our super sleuths can turn them up for you. Please check the dates out with FreeBMD first.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

I was asked by relatives if the plaques they had installed for their parents were still in situ.
Evidently not, because after 25 years from date of installation, they are removed. The plaques in question were from years 1962 / 1968 & 1980.
Hutcliffe Wood opened prior to 1974, exactly when I don't know. We had a plaque installed there for my father who died in 1961.
Thanks for your interest, but no point in me chasing this any further !

Hi Roger,

The date I had mentioned I took from the S&DFHS Booklet on Cemeteries & Burial Grounds.

Definitely states 1974 for anyone else that is interested.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Roger.

Elaine is correct. Hutcliffe Wood crematorium opened in 1974.

"Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium opened in 1974 and to date has carried out over 60,000 cremation services. Adjoining the crematorium is the Gardens of Remembrance which extend over 9 acres.

The cemetery opened way before this.

Angela

Hi Elaine and Angela

Not often I am right and I am wrong again LOL!!

There is a distinction of course i.e. The Crematorium is situated alongside the Garden of Rememberance.

Just put my head in a bucket !

Roger

Hutcliffe Wood Crem keeps a Memorial Book where you can have the deceased's details entered, would it be worth your while looking through that. Probably back issues. My father died in 1984 and although the plaque was removed I had his details entered into the book in 2011.

Susan

Hi Susan and thanks for that information.

I am waiting now on speaking to the relatives involved