Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Harold Clarke

Here is the link to Anne's picture

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a78wx2n23c5jn1r/24957057_10157070294199569_123905074_o.jpg?dl=0

Anne, please tell us what makes you think it is SASC

Is there anything written on the back?

The fact info that he was a motorcyclist would point to the ASC, not the SASC.
Dave

she said she could make out the letters on the uniform

Anne, the picture is not clear enough to be sure about the badges. If someone can make out the letters ASC then I would suggest it is more likely to be ASC.
The term SASC did not come into existence till after the war. I have looked at several ASC photos and it is a definite possibility.
Do you have the original photo?
Can you provide a hi res photo, in focus, of the cap badge and shoulder badge?
Dave

all this & it is WW2 :weary:

Hi Anne.

Not sure what you mean but

I am sure thats a WW1 photo.

Did they wear those leg wrappings in WW2.??????

Harold born in 1897 would have been too old to serve? in WW2 wouldn't he???

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Anne,
In addition to the photo you have told us that Harold was a dispatch rider on a motor bike. If that is true then he would have been in the ASC (Army Service Corps). Not only that, because he was part of Motorised transport, his regimental number would have begun with an M.
There is a Ww1 medal card for Harold Clarke in the ASC with the regimental number M2/192427. ( note that in Ancestry this has been Mis transcribed as M2/1924207).
By studying other people with similar numbers close to this it is possible to interpolate that this Harold enlisted in October/November 1915 and may have travelled to France as late as January 1918. I believe he is the man you are looking for.
With regard to the comment about the SASC (Small Arms School Corps). This small group was originally the School of Musketry and only became known as the Small Arms School in 1919, and it was 1929 before it became known as the SASC.
In your photo Harold is wearing puttees and taped leggings typical of the motorised section of the ASC in Ww1.
For confirmation you need to try to read the letters on the epaulettes (expect ASC or RASC the R is for Royal) and the cap badge
Dave

Hi Im sorry peeps she was getting mixed up with her father & grandfather he was also in the Army all the info was referring to her father no wonder we have brain freeze, grandfather Harold Clarke was in the army but no ideas other than that
Thank You too you all

Anne, are you saying that photo is Ww2 and is not of Harold Clarke born 1897?
Dave

No Dave its still Harold WW1 then she shared her fathers photo different one her father was in ASC don't worry about it Dave Thank you for trying