Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flood of 1864 in Sheffield

Barry, it is very strange, and I think very suspicious. I have sent an email to the web site owners asking if the web site has been compromised. Meantime I suggest that you do not try to put in any information to the authentication form which comes up when you ask to search.
Dave

Barry, no answer yet but I have found a way round the problem. If you google " Sheffield flood claims archive" a box comes up with several links on it. If you click on Sheffield Hallam University it comes up with a search result within the archive. (Bizarre!). You can then click on search and proceed as normal. Clearly the site has a problem, and I suspect no one is responsible for the site any more. I know that about 4 years ago I submitted a correction to a transcription error in the file and I got an answer from the guy called Earnshaw who had been responsible, but was no longer, saying he could not make the correction, and did not know who was responsible.
Dave

Dave this worked, thank you

The Sheffield Flood Claims Archive is now functioning correctly
Dave

Some weeks ago, without warning, Hallam University moved the flood claims from their www2 subdomain to www3

The original page https://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/ still exists and will likely be found by googling for some time, but the links don't work.

To find the working site, change the 2 in the address to a 3 (then save in eg favourites or a shortcut:slightly_smiling_face: )

Here's a live link
https://www3.shu.ac.uk/sfca/

Hugh

Is the Flood Claim website not working again? I've been using the fix and the link advised on the most recent posts here. Searching for claims using the www3 link I keep getting the error message. Trying the other way, via googling Sheffield flood claims archive and then Sheffield Hallam etc all I get is the claims for Deceased, which is not what I'm wanting. Any more advice, please?

Jane, see Hugh's reply above and use the live link he posted.
Dave

Edit, sorry, I see that does not work when you try an actual search..

Jane, suggest you email to Steven Earnshaw whose email you will find under "about the claims"
Dave
Correction, find him under "about the project"

Thanks Dave, but that's what I've been doing. I get as far as the full list of claimants but when I click on the number for any one of them I'm getting the Error message. Does it work for you?

Edit I see I already have your answer to that! I'll try Steve Earnshaw but am not optimistic, given previous replies above.....

Hi Jane,

If no luck with Steve Earnshaw, try the newspaper records. My own ancestors claim was reported in the newspaper, and their write-up of it gave far more details than the online claim record.

Heths

Dear All

I'm delighted to report that the Flood Claims Archive is again accessible to the general public, thanks to the intervention of Steve Earnshaw with Sheffield Hallam's IT department, immediately after New Year. It's where it was originally, https://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/

It can also be found by just googling Sheffield flood claims archive.

Many thanks to Steve for his speedy and successful intervention.