Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Harmer Lane

Hi Val,

Have you thought it could have been a private baptism and it was never entered in the
appropriate churches registers?

Do you have your mums birth certificate? It will state where she was born.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS I note that you say its Harmer Lane? Is that from the Certificate?

Which covered from 135 Pond St to Sheaf St.
From the old Alan Godfrey maps there doesn't seem to be too much residential housing there.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Elaine and Terry, just checked Mum's birth certificate. She was born number 16 Harmer Lane but they were living on Garden Street when Grandma registered her on 19th November, so she was probably baptised in that parish, depending on when they moved,thanks again for your help Val

Hi Val,

St Luke, Hollis Croft was the Parish Church for Garden Street.

Unfortunately we have only transcribed up to 1906

Elaine in Ottawa

Hi All

The Baptist Chapel on Eyre Street celebrated Baptisms and Marriages of Pond St area and Sheffield Park folk, and they didn't have to be baptists. My rellies got married there and were not baptists.

Paula

She wasn't done at St Lukes Val, may get to look at the Eyre St chapel on Saturday.

Regards.

Hi Paula,Elaine and Terry,thanks all for your help especially you Terry for taking the trouble to search the registers.Goodness knows where she can be, perhaps she wasn't christened, which seems strange when the rest of the family were baptised.Thanks Terry for offering to check the Baptist church records, it's very kind of you. Val

Hi Terry,

Which St Lukes did you check because there were two.

Dyers Hill & Hollis Croft.

Depending how long they were staying with Val's gran Garden St came under
St Lukes Hollis Croft.

If you enter the address only i.e. Garden St in our baptism database it brings up St Lukes Hollis Croft.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hello Elaine,

I've checked both of them.

Terry

Great,

Thats eliminating two more.

NOT that many more left........

I wonder?????

Cathedral???

Elaine in Ottawa.

Paula Simons
Hi All

The Baptist Chapel on Eyre Street celebrated Baptisms and Marriages of Pond St area and Sheffield Park folk, and they didn't have to be baptists. My rellies got married there and were not baptists.

Paula

If this is St Simons Paula,we've done the baptisms up to 1940.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I believe that Val you mentioned all the other children were baptised in a C of E Church. Am I correct?

If that is so then I would say you are looking for a C of E baptisms.

Val have a look at this page on our site map, then under Parish Records. C of E one & two then just underneath Non-conformist records. It might help narrow the church down for Terry.

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/SheffieldIndexersSiteMap_Index.html

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hello Elaine and Terry, I really am at a loss to know which church to suggest,please Terry do not think I am expecting you to keep on searching for me. You are very good to have done as much as you have already,I really am very grateful.Thanks again Val

Just a thought. Was your grandmother (mum's mother) originally from somewhere other than Sheffield? Might she have taken your mum to be christened in the parish of her parents? I came across this with one of my ancestors who lived in Derbyshire but took 2 of her babies to Suffolk to be christened in the parish of her parents while her other 6 children were christened in Derby.
Helen C.

Good evening Helen, many thanks for your interest. Grandma was born and baptised in Attercliffe, but neither of her parents were Sheffielders. Her father came from Retford and her Mom from Eyam. All my aunt's and uncles were baptised in Sheffield, all in different churches except the two youngest who were baptised at St Stephens in Netherthorpe,but they were then settled near St Philips Road. Thanks again Val