Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Registry of Still Births

Hi everyone
Can I ask please if a still born baby's birth was registered in the early 1900's.
Thanks

Re: Registry of Still Births

Stillborn children were not registered prior to 1927.
Stillbirth registration was introduced on 1 July 1927 to help protect infant life, provide a valuable source of statistical information and to give parents the opportunity to have their child officially acknowledged. When a child is stillborn the midwife or doctor will issue a medical certificate of stillbirth which will be used to register the stillbirth.

Current GRO policy on obtaining stillbirth certificates: "Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents' dates of death."
Angela

I found out that my parents had a stilborn son in 1952. Both my parents and their brothers and sisters are deceased, except for 1 aunt sho lives in Australia. How would I be able to obtain a birth certificate.

Betty, in Angela's reply the Brother and sister are of the stillborn child, not of the parents.
Dave

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It was my brother born in 1952 who was still born at Northern General Hosp. Do I apply to the Registrar at the Town Hall as I do for the rest of my relatives.

Betty, Angela's earlier reply tells you what you have to do.
Dave